Need help finding what species would be best for me

xenomorph778

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hi folks!

My name is Cody and I am looking to become get and care for a tortoise as I have always loved reptiles and have desired to have a room full of them, but my significant other and other loved ones were not having it with snakes, lizards, etc.

Thankfully, I have always wanted a tortoise and the general consensus among all those in my life is: "Sounds great!"

So the other weekend, I was went to a Reptile Expo in York, PA with a buddy of mine who's a big animal lover and saw a myriad of reptiles, but seeing the tortoises in person there finally pushed me over the edge to pull the trigger on one... at the next Expo we are going to on the 25th!

As much as I wanted to take this one specific Redfoot home that stole my heart immediately upon seeing them, I knew it would be irresponsible to do so without a proper plan and enclosure set up at home. So the moment I got home has been dedicated to setting up proper conditions for a tortoise. Specifically, I have been working towards creating a proper setup to accommodate a young Redfoot.

Now this is where I am coming to you all. I have a large tub setup that I have been tuning to hold humidity and keep temps proper, but also am planning to build a proper table/enclosure in the coming month(s). And while I am meeting all the boxes to provide a Redfoot tortoise with a sufficient home, I am starting to question if a Redfoot is truly the right way to go for me, at least at the moment, as while I am able to provide the right conditions for this animal, it feels like I might quickly become overwhelmed simply due to my location (North East, PA). I especially started to question this while reading over the guide that RedStrike wrote in the Redfoot and yellowfoot tortoises forum, as it seems the amount of effort to keep these animals in great living conditions can be misleading.

So my big question to you all: What specie of tortoise would you specifically recommend for someone who's extremely interested in them? Especially any of you living in the North East US (personally I'm located in Southeast Pennsylvania, about halfway between Baltimore and Philadelphia respectively). I'd be able to accommodate a larger tortoise space-wise (outdoors when seasons/weather permits and indoor floor roaming).

At the end of the day, from all of my research I am still very much leaning towards a Redfoot as I really love the animal, but part of that love is me realizing that it's possible I might not be able to provide it with 100% of it's necessities in life.

Thank you for reading! Just let me know if there is any other details I can give that would help you make a recommendation!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A Hermann's or Russian would probably be best. However, if you have the means in space and money, I say get the one you want, as you will likely not be satisfied until you do.
In that a table is not suitable for any hatchling. They need a closed chamber so humidity can be held at 80% and temps are maintained more steady and at the correct temps for whichever species it is. A Russian and Hermann's can be brumated during the winter months or more easily housed inside and require less humidity as an adult than the RF. A RF eventually will need to live outside 24/7 or in a designated room as roaming your house floors is not acceptable housing for any tortoise.
Also, a reptile expo is not usually the best place to get a tortoise. Some of the sellers start their tortoises correctly, many more don't. A reputable breeder is a better source, one that is a member of this forum is your best place. Many hatchlings die due to not being started correctly from day one of being laid.
Read the closed chamber threads by member Tom and also the Mediterranean care sheets for Hermann's and Russians or even the Greek tortoise.

xenomorph778

Pennsylvania
A Hermann's or Russian would probably be best. However, if you have the means in space and money, I say get the one you want, as you will likely not be satisfied until you do.
In that a table is not suitable for any hatchling. They need a closed chamber so humidity can be held at 80% and temps are maintained more steady and at the correct temps for whichever species it is. A Russian and Hermann's can be brumated during the winter months or more easily housed inside and require less humidity as an adult than the RF. A RF eventually will need to live outside 24/7 or in a designated room as roaming your house floors is not acceptable housing for any tortoise.
Also, a reptile expo is not usually the best place to get a tortoise. Some of the sellers start their tortoises correctly, many more don't. A reputable breeder is a better source, one that is a member of this forum is your best place. Many hatchlings die due to not being started correctly from day one of being laid.
Read the closed chamber threads by member Tom and also the Mediterranean care sheets for Hermann's and Russians or even the Greek tortoise.

I appreciate the quick reply and helpful information!

Do you have any specific recommendations for good Redfoot/tortoise breeders? And even better, any that are relatively local to myself (this isn't as important of course but would be nice)?

Also, is there anyway to tell by looking at a tortoise at an expo if it's been started incorrectly? I am starting to be able to pick up on what early pyramiding, lack of moisture, etc. look like in a tortoise, but is there other ways that you can see if a tortoise has had a bad start? This is more just out of curiosity, not because I desire to specifically get one from an Expo haha.

ryan57

PA
Hi folks!

My name is Cody and I am looking to become get and care for a tortoise as I have always loved reptiles and have desired to have a room full of them, but my significant other and other loved ones were not having it with snakes, lizards, etc.

Thankfully, I have always wanted a tortoise and the general consensus among all those in my life is: "Sounds great!"

So the other weekend, I was went to a Reptile Expo in York, PA with a buddy of mine who's a big animal lover and saw a myriad of reptiles, but seeing the tortoises in person there finally pushed me over the edge to pull the trigger on one... at the next Expo we are going to on the 25th!

As much as I wanted to take this one specific Redfoot home that stole my heart immediately upon seeing them, I knew it would be irresponsible to do so without a proper plan and enclosure set up at home. So the moment I got home has been dedicated to setting up proper conditions for a tortoise. Specifically, I have been working towards creating a proper setup to accommodate a young Redfoot.

Now this is where I am coming to you all. I have a large tub setup that I have been tuning to hold humidity and keep temps proper, but also am planning to build a proper table/enclosure in the coming month(s). And while I am meeting all the boxes to provide a Redfoot tortoise with a sufficient home, I am starting to question if a Redfoot is truly the right way to go for me, at least at the moment, as while I am able to provide the right conditions for this animal, it feels like I might quickly become overwhelmed simply due to my location (North East, PA). I especially started to question this while reading over the guide that RedStrike wrote in the Redfoot and yellowfoot tortoises forum, as it seems the amount of effort to keep these animals in great living conditions can be misleading.

So my big question to you all: What specie of tortoise would you specifically recommend for someone who's extremely interested in them? Especially any of you living in the North East US (personally I'm located in Southeast Pennsylvania, about halfway between Baltimore and Philadelphia respectively). I'd be able to accommodate a larger tortoise space-wise (outdoors when seasons/weather permits and indoor floor roaming).

At the end of the day, from all of my research I am still very much leaning towards a Redfoot as I really love the animal, but part of that love is me realizing that it's possible I might not be able to provide it with 100% of it's necessities in life.

Thank you for reading! Just let me know if there is any other details I can give that would help you make a recommendation!
I got "Stump" from American reptile distributors in NJ. Live in Dillsburg PA. This is one south central PA tortoise and will be about 5lbs in 2 weeks @ 13 months. Tortoises want to be outside doing tortoise stuff when it's nice and there is very minimal roaming in my wife's office and in the evenings he stays put in a doggie bed between 5:30 PM and 8:30 AM. S/he's humid all day in a tote -w- heat in my wife's office and only comes out to eat and bug her to let him out. Just uploaded photos and a video that you see on the main page. If a sulcata can thrive here with little/no experience and Tom's tortoise guide for beginners, other breeds should be fine. The thing about PA is that the grass doesn't really die like it does in MD. Even in winter Stump chows down.

Thanks for letting me know about the reptile expo. Is it in York?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello and welcome to the forum
Redfoot is a species that needs high humidity 24/7. But not much heat (80 to 86) and they need a bit less UVB as some other species. They also have the largest food menu by FAR. They are the easiest to feed because they can eat so many things.
So, there are pros and cons.
Any open topped tub or table would just be impossible to keep in range. You'd need a closed chamber. Think greenhouse or terrarium. A closed chamber can easily hold in the warmth and the humidity without spraying water. Without daily hassle. And the parameters are pretty constant.
As a Redfoot grows, they need a larger and larger enclosure. An adult would need something like a 12' square. And that isn't very generous. But it'd be very hard to pull off.
My secret? I live in steamy south Florida. The environment right outside my back door is just about perfect for a Redfoot every day. I've got it easy.
You however, have to make plans. And a decision to make.
It's certainly doable. We have many members keeping Redfoot in less than perfect areas of the world. (And in America) But there are easier choices.
Give this a read:

xenomorph778

Pennsylvania
I got "Stump" from American reptile distributors in NJ. Live in Dillsburg PA. This is one south central PA tortoise and will be about 5lbs in 2 weeks @ 13 months. Tortoises want to be outside doing tortoise stuff when it's nice and there is very minimal roaming in my wife's office and in the evenings he stays put in a doggie bed between 5:30 PM and 8:30 AM. S/he's humid all day in a tote -w- heat in my wife's office and only comes out to eat and bug her to let him out. Just uploaded photos and a video that you see on the main page. If a sulcata can thrive here with little/no experience and Tom's tortoise guide for beginners, other breeds should be fine. The thing about PA is that the grass doesn't really die like it does in MD. Even in winter Stump chows down.

Thanks for letting me know about the reptile expo. Is it in York?

The one in York was last Sunday, but there is another one in Oaks, PA at the Greater Philadelphia Expo Center on Saturday the 25th that'll I be attending with the same friend I mentioned above haha. Here's the details

Appreciate your input and thank you for sharing Stump! I just looked through your recent pictures and videos, such a gorgeous animal. Looks like he's living a great life with you! You also made me feel much better about wanting a tortoise while living in Pennsylvania, as the somewhat drastic weather changes through the year were stressing me out a bit when thinking of getting a tortoise.

xenomorph778

Pennsylvania
Hello and welcome to the forum
Redfoot is a species that needs high humidity 24/7. But not much heat (80 to 86) and they need a bit less UVB as some other species. They also have the largest food menu by FAR. They are the easiest to feed because they can eat so many things.
So, there are pros and cons.
Any open topped tub or table would just be impossible to keep in range. You'd need a closed chamber. Think greenhouse or terrarium. A closed chamber can easily hold in the warmth and the humidity without spraying water. Without daily hassle. And the parameters are pretty constant.
As a Redfoot grows, they need a larger and larger enclosure. An adult would need something like a 12' square. And that isn't very generous. But it'd be very hard to pull off.
My secret? I live in steamy south Florida. The environment right outside my back door is just about perfect for a Redfoot every day. I've got it easy.
You however, have to make plans. And a decision to make.
It's certainly doable. We have many members keeping Redfoot in less than perfect areas of the world. (And in America) But there are easier choices.
Give this a read:

Thanks for the information! I see a lot of ranging information online as to what amount of space is appropriate for Redfoots, as well as other species (even here on these forums). Which is exactly why I made a new post on here among the readings I have done, information and research leads to new discoveries and techniques, etc.

Also, I would love to eventually move to Florida as that's where I lived for for college and I miss it dearly!

Ideally, I would get a young Redfoot and in few years time when it really needs the larger space, I could be living in Florida again, but as much as I can plan around that, between work and other life scenarios, I cannot guarantee that I'd be able to relocate. So I think that's where a lot of my trouble with deciding on a Redfoot comes from, the inability to give definite answer on where I will be when the tortoise needs me to be there!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks for the information! I see a lot of ranging information online as to what amount of space is appropriate for Redfoots, as well as other species (even here on these forums). Which is exactly why I made a new post on here among the readings I have done, information and research leads to new discoveries and techniques, etc.

Also, I would love to eventually move to Florida as that's where I lived for for college and I miss it dearly!

Ideally, I would get a young Redfoot and in few years time when it really needs the larger space, I could be living in Florida again, but as much as I can plan around that, between work and other life scenarios, I cannot guarantee that I'd be able to relocate. So I think that's where a lot of my trouble with deciding on a Redfoot comes from, the inability to give definite answer on where I will be when the tortoise needs me to be there!
That'll be a lifelong issue. Because a Redfoot can generally live 70 or more years.
Other species can live twice that long.
You are thinking ahead. It's great to see that.
Whatever you do. Whatever you choose. We'll be here to help you.

ryan57

PA
The one in York was last Sunday, but there is another one in Oaks, PA at the Greater Philadelphia Expo Center on Saturday the 25th that'll I be attending with the same friend I mentioned above haha. Here's the details

Appreciate your input and thank you for sharing Stump! I just looked through your recent pictures and videos, such a gorgeous animal. Looks like he's living a great life with you! You also made me feel much better about wanting a tortoise while living in Pennsylvania, as the somewhat drastic weather changes through the year were stressing me out a bit when thinking of getting a tortoise.
A few thoughts based on my limited experience and research.

Fact 1 - Most tortoises can interbreed. That means that technically they are not truly separate species. They are different "families" within a type of closely related animals.

Fact 2 - There is a ridiculous amount of diversity even between one clutch of eggs. I've read about out of 30 eggs, different ones like different temps, some turtles like water while others not so much, some like to wander and others stay put, some brumate and others don't, GROWTH RATES!!

Opinion - "This breed of tortoise lives in harsh conditions in the wild and doesn't have nutritious food"... F that. That doesn't mean they LIKE it. Stump absolutely hates being in the baking a$$ sun but often chooses 112deg by the wood stove in a darker corner. (Radiant heat vs direct sunlight). Sunny and 60's - 70's outside seems to be preferred. Seems to be solar powered (motion) though so sun is a must and I never let the carapace below 73 or so but this sucker will bug you to go out in the 40's or even below if s/he sees the sun through the window. Nothing and absolutely nothing keeps it from wanting to eat weeds to the point of walking past the food offered first thing in the morning if the sun is out. Bird poop is so much of a passion that it should be named a turdoise.

This year is going to be fun and good luck on picking YOUR tortoise. I never imagined that a tortoise would bring not only my wife and I so much joy this past year but... everyone that meets ours... so much so that it should be illegal for pedophiles to own tortoises.

We have found that they are EXPERT communicators and are patient to train you to their behavior. Today was the first day that Stump came when called. It was my wife not me but... still ok. I saw it.

xenomorph778

Pennsylvania
A few thoughts based on my limited experience and research.

Fact 1 - Most tortoises can interbreed. That means that technically they are not truly separate species. They are different "families" within a type of closely related animals.

Fact 2 - There is a ridiculous amount of diversity even between one clutch of eggs. I've read about out of 30 eggs, different ones like different temps, some turtles like water while others not so much, some like to wander and others stay put, some brumate and others don't, GROWTH RATES!!

Opinion - "This breed of tortoise lives in harsh conditions in the wild and doesn't have nutritious food"... F that. That doesn't mean they LIKE it. Stump absolutely hates being in the baking a$$ sun but often chooses 112deg by the wood stove in a darker corner. (Radiant heat vs direct sunlight). Sunny and 60's - 70's outside seems to be preferred. Seems to be solar powered (motion) though so sun is a must and I never let the carapace below 73 or so but this sucker will bug you to go out in the 40's or even below if s/he sees the sun through the window. Nothing and absolutely nothing keeps it from wanting to eat weeds to the point of walking past the food offered first thing in the morning if the sun is out. Bird poop is so much of a passion that it should be named a turdoise.

This year is going to be fun and good luck on picking YOUR tortoise. I never imagined that a tortoise would bring not only my wife and I so much joy this past year but... everyone that meets ours... so much so that it should be illegal for pedophiles to own tortoises.

We have found that they are EXPERT communicators and are patient to train you to their behavior. Today was the first day that Stump came when called. It was my wife not me but... still ok. I saw it.

Hahahah, Stump sounds like such a character, really happy you and your wife found Stump (or maybe it was Stump who truly found you)!

A lot of people have cited that tortoises live a LONG time to me, but that is one of the biggest proponents as to WHY I want a tortoise most. Our family recently lost our childhood dog and it was rough. He was a labradoodle named Rowley and every time I have told someone recently about my decision to get a Tortoise, I quote that I have a "Rowley sized hole in my heart", which is 100% true. He was such a wonderful animal and his life was just to short for how wonderful he was.

I don't want another dog, because I already had a dog and he really does feel irreplaceable, so I am ready to commit to an animal that is much different than anything I have ever had the pleasure of caring for before, as well as an animal that still has the potential to have such personality and bring joy into my life.

Sorry to vent a little bit there but I can already imagine I am going to find "my Stump", hahaha.

xenomorph778

Pennsylvania
That'll be a lifelong issue. Because a Redfoot can generally live 70 or more years.
Other species can live twice that long.
You are thinking ahead. It's great to see that.
Whatever you do. Whatever you choose. We'll be here to help you.

Amen to that! Just have to remind myself that the future is always there to get more tortoises when time, money, and location permits! 🤣

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just be sure to do a lot of research on here and listen to the long time experienced. The ones that have had tortoises for many many years, like Tom, Yvonne, Markw, Maggie, and Zeropilot and there are a few more I'm forgetting and those that have or had the species you are interested in for many years are the ones that can give the best and most informed information. They know the right way and the best way for the tortoise, not the human.