What is the best tortoise for me?

Muskrat M.

Hi,
I'm sure you guys get this question a lot, but I'll ask it again. I live in SoCal, and wanted a tortoise to have in my yard. I have a 16 foot long enclosure, though my rooster and 2 hens live in it. I'm not sure how they would interact, but I wanted to let the tortoise roam about the yard. The enclosure is only if I have to, but in the summer I have a misting system to keep my chickens cool, which I would use for the tortoise. I also have 4 small dogs, but they don't have any interest in any animals. I want a tortoise big enough not to worry about predators such as hawks, but not too big that it will be difficult for me to tend to. I am open to any suggestions, and will accommodate as needed for any tortoise I get. I realize that they are lifelong companions, so something my mom could take care of when I go to college would be nice, seeing how she's hesitant about getting bit by a large tortoise. Thanks!

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Even when you think dogs won't show interest in your tortoise, you still need to be vigilant as dogs often think of them as chew toys. My dog, a golden retriever, left my tortoise alone but I believe he smelled funny to my dog and he didn't realize it was alive.

Tortoises don't bite. They may try to taste your toes if you wear sandals but it easy to back out of the way. They are looking for food and often use their mouths to determine what is edible and what is not.

You'll have to get an adult if you want it in your backyard, and it will need to be big enough so it can't be picked up by predatory birds unless you have a screened top.

I don't know anything about chickens so I don't know if they will ignore a tortoise or peck at it. I've been pecked at by a mad chicken. I don't know if they would be okay about something in their territory. Also, your tortoise might eat their droppings.

In the winter, you'll have to provide a house with a heat source for your tortoise.

Muskrat M.

Even when you think dogs won't show interest in your tortoise, you still need to be vigilant as dogs often think of them as chew toys. My dog, a golden retriever, left my tortoise alone but I believe he smelled funny to my dog and he didn't realize it was alive.

Tortoises don't bite. They may try to taste your toes if you wear sandals but it easy to back out of the way. They are looking for food and often use their mouths to determine what is edible and what is not.

You'll have to get an adult if you want it in your backyard, and it will need to be big enough so it can't be picked up by predatory birds unless you have a screened top.

I don't know anything about chickens so I don't know if they will ignore a tortoise or peck at it. I've been pecked at by a mad chicken. I don't know if they would be okay about something in their territory. Also, your tortoise might eat their droppings.

In the winter, you'll have to provide a house with a heat source for your tortoise.
Thanks for the info I'm looking into a red footed tortoise, they seem easy to buy and a foot sounds about right size wise. I'll do my homework on the breed, but so far I do like the red foot breed

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Thanks for the info I'm looking into a red footed tortoise, they seem easy to buy and a foot sounds about right size wise. I'll do my homework on the breed, but so far I do like the red foot breed
I wouldn't mix the tortoise with chickens and I would keep them away from any dogs. I also love in so cal. And red foots are harder to care for down here because it's so dry All the time. I have 2 and I have to water and mist them every day. They have a mini pond for soaking and a pretty good soil moss substrate layer ontop of the hard ca clay. Also have a ton of plants and share cloth over 80 percent of the enclosure. My red foot would not do well in my whole yard just too hot and dry unless I converted my whole yard to a small forest. With that said. Look into leopard tortoides. Also desert tortoises for adoption. Our weather is better for them. Not saying it's perfect you still need to provide a enclosure and all that.

Kyle

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You've gotten great advice from everyone above.

I agree the RFs don't usually do well here unless you make an extensive set up for them.

Where in SoCal? Very different advice if you are in Palm Springs vs. Newport Beach.

Muskrat M.

I wouldn't mix the tortoise with chickens and I would keep them away from any dogs. I also love in so cal. And red foots are harder to care for down here because it's so dry All the time. I have 2 and I have to water and mist them every day. They have a mini pond for soaking and a pretty good soil moss substrate layer ontop of the hard ca clay. Also have a ton of plants and share cloth over 80 percent of the enclosure. My red foot would not do well in my whole yard just too hot and dry unless I converted my whole yard to a small forest. With that said. Look into leopard tortoides. Also desert tortoises for adoption. Our weather is better for them. Not saying it's perfect you still need to provide a enclosure and all that.

Kyle
Wow! Thanks for all the info! I will definitely look into desert tortoises as I would love to get a rescue or at least captive bred.

Muskrat M.

You've gotten great advice from everyone above.

I agree the RFs don't usually do well here unless you make an extensive set up for them.

Where in SoCal? Very different advice if you are in Palm Springs vs. Newport Beach.
I live in the I.E. so it's not the beach by any stretch but it isn't as hot as the desert.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your tortoise will definitely need its own enclosure separate from and inaccessible by the dogs and chickens. A 16 foot enclosure will be good for a small juvenile, but eventually most tortoises will need something bigger. I.E. has great tortoise weather, but its too dry for RFs, YFs, and Aldabras in my opinion. Desert tortoises, leopards tortoises, russians, and sulcatas would all be good choices, but sulcatas will need a lot of room and they will wreck your yard.

I like babies and small tortoises to have both an indoor and outdoor enclosure. Indoors during the night and on days that are too hot or too cold, and outdoors the rest of the time. I like to keep hatchlings indoors most of the time and only give them an our or two outside per day, until they gain some size. Once your tortoise is older and mature, outside full time is great, with the proper accommodations for the species. DTs, Russians and sulcatas really need to be able to get underground on hot summer days.

Here is one way to do it:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/#post-922226

And another:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/daisys-new-enclosure.28662/

Muskrat M.

Your tortoise will definitely need its own enclosure separate from and inaccessible by the dogs and chickens. A 16 foot enclosure will be good for a small juvenile, but eventually most tortoises will need something bigger. I.E. has great tortoise weather, but its too dry for RFs, YFs, and Aldabras in my opinion. Desert tortoises, leopards tortoises, russians, and sulcatas would all be good choices, but sulcatas will need a lot of room and they will wreck your yard.

I like babies and small tortoises to have both an indoor and outdoor enclosure. Indoors during the night and on days that are too hot or too cold, and outdoors the rest of the time. I like to keep hatchlings indoors most of the time and only give them an our or two outside per day, until they gain some size. Once your tortoise is older and mature, outside full time is great, with the proper accommodations for the species. DTs, Russians and sulcatas really need to be able to get underground on hot summer days.

Here is one way to do it:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/#post-922226

And another:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/daisys-new-enclosure.28662/
Thank you so much! I'll look into all of the breeds you recommended, and yay for summer jobs to pay for a bigger enclosure;)