1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Need help for a found turtle

Discussion in 'Water turtles' started by Dumpling, Mar 14, 2017.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Dumpling

Dumpling New Member

First of all, hello everyone, friends of turtles around the world.

I recently moved to a new place, I live in Taïwan (this is important for life conditions of turtles I heard)
    We found a turtle that her previous owner left behind, she caught a cold apparently but she is still under treatment (I went to see a doctor for animals).

She already feel a bit better as she starting to move around and eat some of the stuff the doctor gave us.

Could you help me improve her quality of life? I don't want to let her in a random park or river, even if there's already many turtles living freely around.

So my questions are :
    - What specie is it? I've heard about graptemys, but I think you guys trully are more expert in that field.
    - What does it eat? Same as before, I've heard that this specie is omnivorous, eat green veggies but also small shrimps (without shell), pieces of ham ...
    - What water/tank/lamp ?
    - Any other attention?

She (I say she because turtle is a female word in french, might be a male) really enjoy the sunlight, so each time it's sunny, I put our tank on a place where she can sunbathe all she wants, protected from rain and with a small broken flower-pot if she needs shadow. She already have place out of water, a few pieces of wood and clean water.

Thank you all for any advices!

Just after, pictures of "her".
    [​IMG]
  2. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Location (City and/or State):
    Clovis, CA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm not real good with water turtles, but it looks like one of the map species. Let's send a shout-out to @tortadise @Markw84
    Dumpling likes this.
  3. Markw84

Markw84 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
    Yes, that is a map turtle. Actually a Mississippi map turtle Graptemys pseudogeographica kohni

I have several and really like these turtles. However, they tend to be a rather shy and skittish turtle. Yours looks to be in it's first year of growth, so too young to sex. If it is a male, it will develop a distinctively large, long tail - as maps turtle males really have large tails in comparison to their size. Males will only get 4.5" - 5" in length when fully grown, while a female will reach 10".

Instead of typing out all the care info, here is a link to a great website with care info for your species of turtle. Read that over, and come back if you have any additional questions.

I use Mazuri aqutic turtle diet as the main diet of these turtles, and they thrive on these pellets. It is really a well balanced diet, and will do quite well on them as their diet. I give worms, shrimp, boiled chicken as an occasional treat just to get them used to coming over to me - as that is difficult with the shy maps.

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-mississippi_map.htm

Good luck with your turtle!
    TammyJ, Dumpling and Moozillion like this.
  4. Dumpling

Dumpling New Member

Awesome, thank you very much guys !
    Moozillion likes this.
  5. tortadise

tortadise Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member

Tropical South Texas
    Yep. Map turtle. Mark covered it quite well.