Need help identifying a tortoise?

zovick

10 Year Member!
I'm not sure yet he apologised and sent the paperwork but I told him I don't want two male marginated tortoises and asked him how we'd arrange getting them back to him but he hasn't responded. I may try start a marginated tortoise breeding program but I have so much research to do and find at least two females to pair with one of the males. I'm still looking for adult male hermann's tortoises but they are really hard to find.
Well, good luck with your attempt to return the tortoises. Hopefully the seller will respond to you very soon, arrange to take them back, and then return your money posthaste. I will NOT be holding my breath for this to happen, however.

sarahxmuldunne

Location (City and/or State)
dublin
Well, good luck with your attempt to return the tortoises. Hopefully the seller will respond to you very soon, arrange to take them back, and then return your money posthaste. I will NOT be holding my breath for this to happen, however.
He’s trying to take the price down telling me he wants them to stay in such a good home with me. Typical. I actually think the smaller one may be female as I came down to this...
402CE2D3-8C91-477A-9E22-DC107FF519B8.jpeg

zovick

10 Year Member!
He’s trying to take the price down telling me he wants them to stay in such a good home with me. Typical. I actually think the smaller one may be female as I came down to this...
View attachment 309007
They both looked like males yesterday in the beginning of this thread. Look at the tail on that smaller one again in the picture from yesterday. I still believe that one is a male. Just because the one tortoise was mounting the other one this morning doesn't necessarily mean they are two different sexes. Often two tortoises of the same sex will mount each other, both males and females. I have witnessed that happening numerous times over the years, especially in immature animals who are just learning the ropes.

Can you post new pix of the supposed female's underside and tail again just to be sure?

Last edited:

sarahxmuldunne

Location (City and/or State)
dublin
They both looked like males yesterday in the beginning of this thread. Look at the tail on that smaller one again in the picture from yesterday. I still believe that one is a male. Just because the one tortoise was mounting the other one this morning doesn't necessarily mean they are two different sexes. Often two tortoises of the same sex will mount each other, both males and females. I have witnessed that happening numerous times over the years, especially in immature animals who are just learning the ropes.

Can you post new pix of the supposed female's underside and tail again just to be sure?
I posted new pics in the other thread. I think your right. I just thought at the same age why they didn’t have similar tail or size.