Need Help on a trip, How do I manage my toroise

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I'm lucky to have a great tortoise sitter in the family, my cousin had turtles all childhood and had only just recently had to give them up, so her and her mum know and love turtles and babysitting franklin opened their eyes to tortoises. My cousin fell in love with him first time I had her sit! turns out a year and a half after she got herself a Russian too lol, good thing she has a good sitter available too ;)
Ran into quite a predicament when both our families went on vacation together for a weekend, thankfully it was 2 nights, so I left his day lights on and piled up a lot of food and he was fine... but yeah the length of trip you have he'd be coming with me if I had no one to sit, no question about it!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
If I am gone for 4 days I take my tortoises with me. I put them in a tub with substrate in it, pop on the lid and off we go. Less than 4 days they stay at home alone and over 4 days they stay with a baby sitter. My box turtles stay home no matter what. they are young and dig in anyway. Their tanks are super humid so I don't worry about water issues and there are bugs living with them so food is also a non-issue.
If you can't get a sitter, which you say is the case, it is a good call to bring him with you. get a non-descript little tub for travel. I have never been asked what is in the tub and the one time I got caught, at Buffalo Wild Wings, they actually brought me some spring mix salad for them. Get a larger tub to set up as a habitat for when you stop for the night and get to where you are going. He should be fine.
I am traveling with five year old sulcatas and five year old leopard torts this weekend. Going to Houston from Dallas for 4 days. Travel tubs are set up and they have an indoor and outdoor enclosure where we are going.

What kind of tortoise is this? A russian or greek would not need night heat and a little bit of natural sun every few days will more than suffice for UVB. if it is a sully or leo or red foot just bring a light doom with a normal light bulb for basking and a small che for night heat.

Last edited:

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I have a sitter that comes daily. If I could not do that or leave them with a friend, I would take the tortoise.
Leaving it without basic needs would not be a question, regardless.
Have a good trip.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I have considered taking my two with me when I go to Universal for a week, but firstly the stress on my yearling would be immense, and Vodka isn't your usual quiet tortoise. She'd scratch at the box constantly. Restless soul. Secondly my parents definatley would not approve and third, That kind of stress on them isn't worth it to me. I can easily get a neighbor or friend to feed them for me. Luckily none of my friends are squeamish feeding slugs and pheonix worms to my boxie.

I appreciate this thread, it has helped me learn safe and calm ways to transport my animals when I need to move out or take them to a vet. As much as I would love to have them with me on vacation, Unless it is a last minute dire needs thing I would rather leave them in the security of their home.

The light issue, sunlight for uvb and as said black lights for heat at night. If the wattage is compatible a small desk / reading lamp could work to hold the bulb.
Traveling with boxies can be stressful on you and the turtle. They don't take as kindly to it as sulcatas and leos. That being said, both travel better when movement is restricted and it is pitch black dark in their travel container. Of course, you are correct when you say they are better off in their own homes but sometimes that is not an option.