NEED HELP!!!! (parasites)

Status
Not open for further replies.

guille24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
wisconsin
new 016.JPGHi guys today i was soaking my russian tortoise that i've had for about 2 years she went to the bathroom and i check her feces just in case like always and i notice something i never seen before what is it ??? they look like little worms :/ what can i do to get rid of them ?? also there is another russian tortoise living with her she might be infected too :( are they going to die ?? are those worms dangerous to humans ?? should i go to the doctor ??

Last edited by a moderator:

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
RE: NEED HELP!!!! :/

Yes, looks like worms...I would take a sample to the vet to check. They will probably prescribe panacur...

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin

thanks!! after going to the vet do i have to give it to my tortoises my self ?? should i go to the doctor ? im really scared right now i dont want to be infected

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA

Look, calm down first. It's important that all the substrate be changed and everything in the enclosure be throughout sanitized. Put in new substrate, and most importantly, separated the torts. Each tort should be treated and have clean, new substrate. You probably don't have to worry about the worms unless after touching their poop, substrate, or anything that the torts may have contact with, you then put your hand in your month or you touched your mouth without washing your hands. If you are not sure, you can ask your doctor to take a fecal specimen and test it. Most people won't get the worms because after handling their torts, they throughly clean their hands. Just make sure you separate the torts, clean out their enclosure, and make sure they are treated and retested. But, first make sure they both have worms and both are treated before cleaning out their pen. Otherwise, they may just get re-infected and you'll have to do it all over again.

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin

thank u so much!! i'm sure they both have worms :( i been reading i can treat them my self by giving them panacur , but where can i get it ?? i now how much i have to give them according to their weight but i don't know where to get it is there any website i can order it from ?? all i keep finding is panacur for dogs

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington

Yes, make an appointment with the vet as they will probably need to see the tort (at least one of them) to do a fecal test and treat your tortoise. Take this picture along with you, because as others have found, not every poo will show the worms.
Don't panic! Parasite at some level are common in tortoises. When it shows in their poo, it is probably time to treat.

You won't catch anything if you practice good hand washing after you care for your tortoises.
While what Sylvia suggests is ideal (separation), just assume both torts are infected and have the vet treat both. Some torts will take the med in a treat food (adding the med to non sweetened canned pumpkin wrapped in a leaf of their favorite green, like a burrito, works), but sometimes an experienced person needs to administer the med.
Remove the substrate and replace with newspaper (shredded newspaper to burrow in). This can be replaced regularly while you treat them and repeat the dose in 10 days, approx.

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin

lynnedit said:
Yes, make an appointment with the vet as they will probably need to see the tort (at least one of them) to do a fecal test and treat your tortoise. Take this picture along with you, because as others have found, not every poo will show the worms.
Don't panic! Parasite at some level are common in tortoises. When it shows in their poo, it is probably time to treat.

You won't catch anything if you practice good hand washing after you care for your tortoises.
While what Sylvia suggests is ideal (separation), just assume both torts are infected and have the vet treat both. Some torts will take the med in a treat food (adding the med to non sweetened canned pumpkin wrapped in a leaf of their favorite green, like a burrito, works), but sometimes an experienced person needs to administer the med.
Remove the substrate and replace with newspaper (shredded newspaper to burrow in). This can be replaced regularly while you treat them and repeat the dose in 10 days, approx.
thank u so much ! i'm really concern about my tortoises right now , i just want the best for them ,

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA

Do NOT treat this yourself. While worms and parasites are common in torts, it's nothing to play around with. You need to have the torts weighed so that the proper amounts of meds. could be administered. If they don't get the proper dose, you are taking a huge risk. Let the vet do it. And, avoid having to take the torts by providing the exact weight of each tort, and fecal samples for each tort. This way, you can cut the cost of the vet's visit. All you pay is for the sample tests. Also, most vets know you'll need to repeat the meds, so see if he will give you double amounts of meds to be treated for a month or 20 days. Or, if you get only a 10-14 days supply, you can try and get some more and repeat the treatment. Don't know if you can get the med. on internet w/o script.

guille24 said:
thank u so much!! i'm sure they both have worms :( i been reading i can treat them my self by giving them panacur , but where can i get it ?? i now how much i have to give them according to their weight but i don't know where to get it is there any website i can order it from ?? all i keep finding is panacur for dogs

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin

sibi said:
Do NOT treat this yourself. While worms and parasites are common in torts, it's nothing to play around with. You need to have the torts weighed so that the proper amounts of meds. could be administered. If they don't get the proper dose, you are taking a huge risk. Let the vet do it. And, avoid having to take the torts by providing the exact weight of each tort, and fecal samples for each tort. This way, you can cut the cost of the vet's visit. All you pay is for the sample tests. Also, most vets know you'll need to repeat the meds, so see if he will give you double amounts of meds to be treated for a month or 20 days. Or, if you get only a 10-14 days supply, you can try and get some more and repeat the treatment. Don't know if you can get the med. on internet w/o script.

guille24 said:

,,,,and i thought since i already know both of my tortoises have worms i might do it my self do u think is a bad idea ?:/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Guille's last post was edited to remove the dosages.

It is never a good idea to give out dosages on line, as the de-worming medicine comes in different strengths. For example, Panacur comes in strengths to treat large animals and in a lesser strength to treat small animals. Say someone reading the dosages online has in their posession the Panacur for large animals and uses it to treat his tortoise. He would be giving way too much medication and might kill his tortoise.

It's always a good idea to get your medication (at least the first time) from your vet. He will weigh the tortoise and give you the correct dosage and medication to treat your animal. From that time on, if you want to do it yourself, that would be fine, but get it first from the vet.

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin

emysemys said:
Guille's last post was edited to remove the dosages.

It is never a good idea to give out dosages on line, as the de-worming medicine comes in different strengths. For example, Panacur comes in strengths to treat large animals and in a lesser strength to treat small animals. Say someone reading the dosages online has in their posession the Panacur for large animals and uses it to treat his tortoise. He would be giving way too much medication and might kill his tortoise.

It's always a good idea to get your medication (at least the first time) from your vet. He will weigh the tortoise and give you the correct dosage and medication to treat your animal. From that time on, if you want to do it yourself, that would be fine, but get it first from the vet.
woow i don't want that to happen to anyone , i'm really sorry about posting the dosages , i'm taking my tortoises to the vet asap or at least the poo samples, thank u so much for all the advise , im just freaking out right now this is the first time something like this happens to me i just want the best for my little ones again i'm really sorry about the big mistake i made

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
If you have not taken them to a vet before they won't let you just drop off a fecal sample. They will need to be examined by the vet. You should make sure you are seeing an exotic pet vet who has a history with tortoises. Worms and treatment are a normal part of owning a tortoise. Best of luck and keep use posted!

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
i hope i can find an exotic veterinarian where i live , if i cant ill take them to a regular one but before he tries to do anything to my girls i'm gonna ask all of u first , i will let u know what happen ,, thank you so much for all the help u guys are giving me !!

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
i finally took my two rt to the vet !! they are in different enclosures right now ,he gave them panacur i really hope they get better :) i bought a couple digital scales so i can keep an eye on how much weight my tortoises get or loss , this incident with parasites definitely open up my eyes and made me realize i have to be ready for anything and put more attention to my tortoises behavior .

Status
Not open for further replies.