Need Help! Substrate temp too cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammons

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina, US
tort cage.jpgWe just got 2 5yr old red foots.We put a cage together and used coconut fiber substrate. Using heat lamps the temp says it gets up to 85, but the substrate feels cool to the touch, maybe because of the moisture? Do we need to worry about heating the substrate, or is this normal? Substrate is like 74 out of the light, and the humidity stays around 60-65. Advice?

Last edited by a moderator:

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
You could buy a heat rope to run underneath the substrate. You'd be a lot better off with a "closed chambers" style enclosure. Cover the whole thing with plexiglass, with a few vent holes drilled out. Also, I would use cypress mulch over coco fiber for 5 year olds. The temps should be about 80-85 throughout the cage, with a basking spot of 90-95 right under the heat lamp. Also, humidity should be 80%+. Overall, you need a closed chambers enclosure to maintain the proper environment.

hammons

5 Year Member
South Carolina, US
RedfootsRule said:
You could buy a heat rope to run underneath the substrate. You'd be a lot better off with a "closed chambers" style enclosure. Cover the whole thing with plexiglass, with a few vent holes drilled out. Also, I would use cypress mulch over coco fiber for 5 year olds. The temps should be about 80-85 throughout the cage, with a basking spot of 90-95 right under the heat lamp. Also, humidity should be 80%+. Overall, you need a closed chambers enclosure to maintain the proper environment.

Thanks, we just ordered a heat rope and are considering the plexiglass. May I ask why the cypress vs the coco? We are new to this.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Personally, I just like cypress mulch a lot more, and being that its wood it seems to stay warmer to me. Its a personal choice, somewhat. I hate coco fiber; when it gets wet it sticks to them and what-not....I just, over-all, prefer the look of cypress mulch. Some might tell you that its better for their leg muscles to, other then continuously sticking their legs into the fluffy coco fiber...

hammons

5 Year Member
South Carolina, US
Thanks for the information. I received the heatrope and it seems to be working well :) And we are trying the cypress next, once the new enclosure's paint cures for a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.