Need help with incubating!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Just went outside and one of my females was digging a nest. Ran and got an incubator. When I got back she was just finished covering them. I dug them up and set them on aspen in a plastic container. What temps and humidity should I keep them? Any help will be great - this is my first clutch!!!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi Dee,
You need to go back out and get either "glitter grade" vermiculite or perlite. The eggs need to be on a damp substrate or they will dry out.
80 to 84F is great and 70 to 80% humidity.

Danny

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Will peat moss work Danny?

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Also, how long does it take for them to chalk. Does that mean for sure that they are fertile? How long of an incubation period? Thanks!!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Sorry - Can I use straight perilite?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi Dee,
You can use peat moss, just that it drys out pretty fast.
It can take up to 7 days for all the eggs to chalk.
Yes you can use straight perlite. The 2 choices are seperate. :D

Danny

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Danny, How long of an incubation period am I looking at? Thanks for all of your help, you are a dear!!!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Your looking at a 60 to 75 day incubation period Dee. :D

Danny

jasso2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
dan the man imma ure a genius and a true tortoises man! congrats....ure special

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Thanks Jen! Don't know if they are fertile or not and one has a rather large dent in it, so we will see.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Congrats on the eggs Dee, now the wait (stress-checking temps, humidity hoping all is right) starts. (Yells loudly) :p
Ahhhh, but the results are worth it all. (sighs softly) :D

ZippyButter

10 Year Member!
Texas/Cal.
Congratulation Dee, and this also just happens to me this evening, my cupcake ( one of my females three toed) dug a deep hole and I've seen she depositing about three or four eggs and then working to cover them up. I have all my boxes roaming outside in my backyard, so do you all think that in nature, these turtles know where the best spot to lay their eggs? Because the spot that she laid her eggs is quite damp, and the sun shines there all day. so I think I will leave the nest alone and counting the days. My children are so excited and they already thinking about the names for these future hatchlings. I hope all of your boxie's eggs are firtile.

Minh

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
ZippyButter said:
Congratulation Dee, and this also just happens to me this evening, my cupcake ( one of my females three toed) dug a deep hole and I've seen she depositing about three or four eggs and then working to cover them up. I have all my boxes roaming outside in my backyard, so do you all think that in nature, these turtles know where the best spot to lay their eggs? Because the spot that she laid her eggs is quite damp, and the sun shines there all day. so I think I will leave the nest alone and counting the days. My children are so excited and they already thinking about the names for these future hatchlings. I hope all of your boxie's eggs are firtile.

Minh

I would put some screen over it to keep predators out, also watch out for ants.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
ZippyButter, (Not to steal Dees Thread) I would place some type of barrier around the nest. That way when the eggs hatch the little ones won't get away before you are able to collect them. Shouldn't need to be very high just a couple of inches.
My Greeks are in an outside pen until winter. Last year my female laid at least one egg. I didn't even know she had laid. Then in early November I almost stepped on the new hatchling. I think they know were they should be laid. But I am not sure they can take into account, ants, predators, weed whackers, or size 8 feet. Good luck to you and your new eggs.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I think I am going to leave my next nest alone also. These eggs are collapsing even with my humidity up. Robyn, you had the same idea I did. I figured I would put 2x4's around so I didn't step on them and it would keep them contained when the hatched.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Thats why I like vermiculite better than perlite for incubating. :D
Do any of your eggs look like the 3 on the right Dee.
P1010417.jpg

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.