Need help with my Russian tortoise

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
A brand new member - Marissa S. - posted the following in a private message to me, but I think she will be better served asking all you Russian keepers about her concerns rather than just me:

Marissa S.New Member
New
I'm fairly new to the tortoise game. I've had Vlad, a russian tortoise, for about a month and have noticed some slight peeling on the shell. I'm using repti-bark as a substrate, and I keep a shallow dish of water in the enclosure. I've seen a lot of posts on here about soaking, so I've been soaking him about 3-4 times a week, but it doesn't seem to be doing much. Any and all advice on what to do would be very much appreciated!

Pictures (sorry for the low-quality photos):

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Marissa, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm sorry but unless one has a google account, we can't see the pictures. Can you post them here instead of on Google?

Russian tortoises' shells usually look a little beat up. Without seeing what you're concerned about all I can say is it's probably just normal Russian tortoise wear and tear.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
where are you located if you don't mind

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. I can't see your pictures either, but I agree with Yvonne. probably nothing to worry about. Check out the Russian caresheet and make whatever adjustments are needed.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Peeling of the shell could mean your lights are too close or too hot... or you might just need to dampen things up a bit. Great job with the soaking!!!! I would suggest switching to coconut coir as it keeps the cage a tad more moist. Also, teensy tiny bits of the shell might get a bit flaky when the tortoise is growing and the shell is enlarging. I would also wait for another person's advice just in case. :)

Steve_carter

UK
Hi Marissa.

Firstly welcome to the forum!! - You have landed in a great place. I cannot see the pictures either on phone app and desktop version of website. If you can upload pictures here that would be great.

How old is your Russian Tort? If its a baby I would increase the soaks to one a day. I soak my 1 year tort every morning for 15/20mins (whilst i clean, place food in his home)

The flakes could be old shell as hes growing. Pictures would be more helpful to advise further.

On my Russian he has an old 'flakey' bit of skin peeling on his neck. It is annoying me but it will come away eventually or him rubbing it away. Like us on holiday... old skin peels with new skin under. I put it down to growth for him.

As @GingerLove mentioned I would consider CoCo Coir substrate. I have my tort on this now (moving from the dreaded hemp...) He loves it. It is finer so less risk of pieces potentially cutting the guy and also the coir has encouraged him to dig more, bury himself and make trenches. Keeps him occupied. Haha!

Madeleine M

Hey everyone! Im really new to this page, and i need your help!!!!
my RT charlie (male) has been having some eye problems... swollen, he will open after soaking but not always for long.. I did try soaking in a carrot bath.. but again eyes opened for a short time.. he is eating and drinking.. but i feel as though not very active.. he does crawl around but nothing crazy.. i really feel bad for my little guy!!!
please help!