Need some advice from owners in the midwest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Headhunter

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Omaha, Nebraska
I am in Nebraska and just wondering your challenges in keeping a Sulcata here in the midwest with the fun winters, indoor vs outdoor and predetors, raccoons, opossums, eagles/hawks etc.

We have yet to adopt or pick out our new little guy, but I want to be informed and educated as possible before we make a decision. I would rather not make a poor choice based on my desire to have a sulcata.

Dr. Coffee

5 Year Member
U.S.A.
After 4 months of owning an 8" Sulcata in Ohio, the hardest thing after the initial investments of the supplies, (Tort table, lights, thermometers, etc.) is to keep them as warm as you need them to be, you can count on your electric bill being $50-$75 more expensive.

I love having him around though, he's got a great personality. Just read yesterday that their intelligence is around the equivalence of a white rat, so quite smart, and It's pretty evident.

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
I'm in Oklahoma City and it isn't that big of a deal keeping them happy in the winter. Mine has a shed that is heated and insulated. The biggest thing is the upfront expense. After that, it's no biggie. About halfway down the page on this thread are some pics of my sulcata's shed.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Some-pics-of-my-big-guy-Mr-T?page=3#axzz1ImMN7Nzm

As far as predators, I have never had an issue, but I'm not out in the boonies either...unfortunately!

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I would also talk with KBaker. He raises Sulcatas and is very experienced with raising them in the midwest.

Status
Not open for further replies.