Need some advice please!

Terri F

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I have a 5 year old Sulcata. My son bought him as a hatchling while he was in college. Needless to say, I took on his care shortly after. We live in a suburb of Massachusetts and are in our late 50’s. We have grown very attached to him over the years but are aware that due to his size, it will soon become more than we can handle. I would be able to rehome him in this area but its important to us that he be in an environment/region that is more conducive to him being able to spend more time outside and have a healthy happy life. Im looking for someone who will give him a good home....not use him for breeding and then sell to anyone. Not sure where to begin.....can anyone guide me in the right direction?

YukdaTortoise

California
If you live in west Massachusetts I saw a website call: West Mass Turtle Rescue. They will take in your Sulcata, but I do not know if they will take big Sulcata tortoises, but I wish you the best luck :)

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Just a quick note that I believe there is a turtle rescue somewhere in Western MA. I tried to find somewhere to volunteer at some point and they were the only ones specializing in turtles/tortoises. They are too far for me, but you may want to give them a call and see if anyone is looking.

Very reasonable to want to inspect the new owner's enclosure space if you can, to make sure your sulcata is in good hands.

Terri F

Massachusetts
Thank you! I was hoping to find him a home in a warmer climate. Hes so happy when hes outside, I feel like I want him to have a better environment than he can have here in Massachusetts. Maybe west coast?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Thank you! I was hoping to find him a home in a warmer climate. Hes so happy when hes outside, I feel like I want him to have a better environment than he can have here in Massachusetts. Maybe west coast?

I totally agree with you. I feel pretty badly about my tortoise being in the cold climate as well, because she loves being outside and she can't be for most of the year.

Good luck on finding a new owner. You could always drive the tortoise out to his new home if you find anyone amazing in a warmer climate.

Terri F

Massachusetts
I totally agree with you. I feel pretty badly about my tortoise being in the cold climate as well, because she loves being outside and she can't be for most of the year.

Good luck on finding a new owner. You could always drive the tortoise out to his new home if you find anyone amazing in a warmer climate.
Oh I plan to fly him wherever he needs to be! Thank you very much!

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I have a 5 year old Sulcata. My son bought him as a hatchling while he was in college. Needless to say, I took on his care shortly after. We live in a suburb of Massachusetts and are in our late 50’s. We have grown very attached to him over the years but are aware that due to his size, it will soon become more than we can handle. I would be able to rehome him in this area but its important to us that he be in an environment/region that is more conducive to him being able to spend more time outside and have a healthy happy life. Im looking for someone who will give him a good home....not use him for breeding and then sell to anyone. Not sure where to begin.....can anyone guide me in the right direction?
Hello neighbor! I know it sucks.. i was in the same situation. Wish the best for u guys and ur tort. Good luck!

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Thank you very much!
I got lucky that my dad lives down south and has a friend that is very tort knowledgable so it made me feel a lil better.. but i still sucks. Just a reminder for cold weather sulcata thinkers ( its harder than u think.. even for experienced owners)

Terri F

Massachusetts
I got lucky that my dad lives down south and has a friend that is very tort knowledgable so it made me feel a lil better.. but i still sucks. Just a reminder for cold weather sulcata thinkers ( its harder than u think.. even for experienced owners)
You are so right! From the look of the photo you are taking such good care of your tortoise! I am a huge animal lover and have tried to educate myself and have a great vet who has been very helpful. So far we’ve been able to take good care of him. He has a large indoor habitat for the cooler months but I know that as he grows its going to get more difficult. I wish he would stay as is...i would keep him forever! Thank you for making me feel better!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Hey Chubbs....you moved your lil guy down South? How did i miss that? Dud u send the Tiki hut too...or, ist just for Winter time?

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Hey Chubbs....you moved your lil guy down South? How did i miss that? Dud u send the Tiki hut too...or, ist just for Winter time?
Yeah bro.. hes living in SC now.. so he can get more outside-time. Life changes suck.. i had a plan that fell thru for now. Wish i was retired and could do what i wanna do ( it was a very hard decision and i think the right one)

Terri F

Massachusetts
Yeah bro.. hes living in SC now.. so he can get more outside-time. Life changes suck.. i had a plan that fell thru for now. Wish i was retired and could do what i wanna do ( it was a very hard decision and i think the right one)
I couldn’t agree more.....its very difficult but you are so lucky knowing that hes happy and well cared for!

JMM

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Your best bet for rehoming a large tort in MA is to advertise here--that will get you folks from outside the area. Just be very careful to thoroughly check folks out--some of the folks on TF may be able to help with that. I don't think the rescues mentioned will be of much assistance.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome could we see some pics of your buddy?

evansmom

Pacifica, CA
Try going to https://www.tortoise.com/turtle-rescue-centers-in-usa.html

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

I must have missed those postings. I might be doing the same next year - not sure. Our Sully is fine & growing. Almost broke my back this year getting her inside & down into the winter housing arena. Many months inside with no real grass or ??

Terri F

Massachusetts
I must have missed those postings. I might be doing the same next year - not sure. Our Sully is fine & growing. Almost broke my back this year getting her inside & down into the winter housing arena. Many months inside with no real grass or ??
I understand....I once slipped with him in my arms and trying to protect him, came down hard.....that was the moment i realized it was time. It’s always so hard letting go of a pet that has become a family member but I know its going to give him a better life.