RE: NEED SOME INFO!!! HELP!!!

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP.......

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota

Is this growing in your yard or was it a product you purchased?
You might want to ask in the Redfoot section...

Pesky Fly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
The Moon

Cam said:
Is this growing in your yard or was it a product you purchased?
You might want to ask in the Redfoot section...

It is a product I purchased it is buy Scotts.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota

on the bag does is give a list of the 'mix'?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA

Pesky, RF really don't eat much grass, ‘attempting to sustain a Red-foot tortoise on a diet of mixed grasses would not be advisable; this species is ill equipped to effectively metabolize large quantities of silica-rich grass.’ Here are some more appropriate Greens to feed your RF

Fruits are also part of the diet of these species in the wild. In captivity, avoid over-reliance on banana: papaya, guava, plums, pineapple and apricot are all far more suitable.

Red-foot tortoises do not bask to the same extent as arid-habitat species, and therefore obtain much of their D3 needs in nature from the animal component of their diet.

Feed your hatchling about 3-5 grams or .107 oz. to .176 oz. finely chopped, daily. Each Redfoot will have their own eating habits so it is important to monitor each one. What we are basically saying is this...When they walk away from the food, that's the amount you feed them. With a good balanced and nutritional diet, that is all they need.

Pick those that are readily available for you from these items. and get them on a good diet habit..
In order of calcium content:
Grape Leaves, Hibiscus(blooms & leaves), Dandelion Greens, Curly Endive(not belgian)/Chicory, Escarole and Collard Greens.

The feeding schedule should be as follows:

Days 1 and 2: Greens only as above..avoid Kale and no Spinach!

Day 3: Fruits only such as Strawberry, cantaloupe, apricots, black plum are the best plum, peach, pineapple, prickly pear cactus(pads and fruit). Avoid citrus fruits such as oranges, grapefruit, lemons..too high acid..especially tomatoes. "Seldom" Bananas!!! One or two bites per month!

Repeat days 1-3
At 6 months the hatchling diet can now be supplemented. This is at about 3" SCL... if he's bigger...it's DIET TIME!!! See "Yearling Diet"

This is the diet plan for hatchlings from www.Redfoots.com I highly recommend you checking out this site.

Pesky Fly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
The Moon

IT IS JUST IN MY YARD, I AM NOT GOING TO FEED HIM ON IT!!! What do you think I am dumb? I just want to make sure he can eat it when he goes outside, as thats the only kind of grass that can surive a Kentucky Winter. No, I will be feeding a diet of fresh greens (with supplements), fruit, and once every 1-2 weeks some animal matter. And last but not least a few Hibuscus flowers. LOL sheesh.....

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota

Take a breath...no one said you were dumb.
You asked in a panic, did not give the specific information that it was just in your yard not part of his diet.
Based on the information you gave you were given thorough information from someone trying to help out.
I posted your same question over in RF section to see if you could get a faster answer and Crazy 1 was kind enough to reply there too.

Thank you Crazy 1.

Pesky Fly said:
IT IS JUST IN MY YARD, I AM NOT GOING TO FEED HIM ON IT!!! What do you think I am dumb? I just want to make sure he can eat it when he goes outside, as thats the only kind of grass that can surive a Kentucky Winter. No, I will be feeding a diet of fresh greens (with supplements), fruit, and once every 1-2 weeks some animal matter. And last but not least a few Hibuscus flowers. LOL sheesh.....

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa

Pesky Fly said:
I've found that when a RF eats grass (and invarably it happens outdoors), all it does is pass on thru. It doesn't hurt them and they don't actively seek it out to eat. What it does do is as it grows high it provides some shelter and shade. My adults had a pallet under a big clump of big bluestem.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA

OK, Pesky Fly, calm down. I was not insinuating you were dumb, to the contrary. I think you are very bright to ask questions. But a question in not a plead for “HELP” . as Cam said, you did seem somewhat in a panic "NEED SOME INFO!!! HELP" Then a second post about 45 min. later. I have seen that type of post when someone has had a tort that has eaten something poison, or has not moved in several days, or been very, very sick. The outcome has not always been a good. Some of these members have had their torts die. So if my response made you feel like I thought you or your question where dumb, I do apologize. It was not meant to do that it was meant to answer your question and add a little more info for you as well as noobies that may read this post. In as non threatening quick and simple way as I could put it. We all have other things that go on in our lives and sometimes it takes a little time for people to answer.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Pesky Fly said:
Thats Ok,
sorry for the mix up : - )

No worries, Pesky Fly, we are here to try and help. We want you to feel free to ask questions and not feel picked upon or challenged or demeaned in any way, that is how we all learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.