Need some tips for our new guy

Heather715

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I saw this guy at the pet store Sunday and he looked so sad so I brought him home.
We have an African side neck (obviously 2 different settings for them)
I wasn't told much other than he is a boy, less than a year old and he is a Russian Tortoise
I got the heat lamp and the uvb lamp. Keeping his temp around 90-100 and humidity around 60%
I leave the lights on for 12 hours and 12 hours off
He is eating the tortoise pellets and lettuce daily and I've already soaked him once for 30 mins

Any other tips you guys can offer?
Does he look as young as they told me and does his shell look okay?

Thank you in advance for helping me out!!

Attachments

• IMG_9304.JPG
    IMG_9304.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9305.JPG
    IMG_9305.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9306.JPG
    IMG_9306.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9333.JPG
    IMG_9333.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_9339.JPG
    IMG_9339.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 27

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I saw this guy at the pet store Sunday and he looked so sad so I brought him home.
We have an African side neck (obviously 2 different settings for them)
I wasn't told much other than he is a boy, less than a year old and he is a Russian Tortoise
I got the heat lamp and the uvb lamp. Keeping his temp around 90-100 and humidity around 60%
I leave the lights on for 12 hours and 12 hours off
He is eating the tortoise pellets and lettuce daily and I've already soaked him once for 30 mins

Any other tips you guys can offer?
Does he look as young as they told me and does his shell look okay?

Thank you in advance for helping me out!!

Hi...how long is the tortoise? I personally would remove that water dish as it is designed for a snake or slithering creature....tortoise are pretty rigid and so can find itself flipped in a bad situation....I would use like a clay planter bottom and that way the tort can readily walk in or drink easily from the side and decrease any roll over issue....

Looks like a lovely little tort..

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome to TFO

You were given a lot of incorrect information unfortunately. Pet stores have a habit of saying what they think customers want to hear.

I’ll start with the good news: You have a Russian Tortoise.

The rest is going to look horrible, sorry; I am not criticising you, but trying to give you the information the pet store should have told you.

It is a wild caught sub adult (still growing) and is definitely more than one year old - there’s no telling how old as they all grow at different rates.

It may be male. A good clear photo of the plastron (undershell) and tail is needed for confirmation.

Russians are very active, loving to dig and climb, and need lots of space. A vivarium is not suitable for a tort of this size. They need a minimum of 4’x8’

The substrate needs to be an earthy type - fine grade orchid bark or coco coir are great and cheapest bought from a garden store - and mixed with water so it is evenly damp throughout. This helps to raise humidity which helps your tort to grow a smooth shell.

Those reptile bowls are not suitable for tortoises, they’re a tipping hazard. A terracotta plant saucer makes a great water bowl. A piece of flat rock or slate, or even the back of a bathroom tile makes a flat food plate which helps to keep your tort’s beak in shape too.

I recommend you read the TFO care guides and compare them with your setup.

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're keeping him too warm. He needs a bigger container so that he can have it cooler on one end of the container - room temp

Heather715

Arizona
Hi...how long is the tortoise? I personally would remove that water dish as it is designed for a snake or slithering creature....tortoise are pretty rigid and so can find itself flipped in a bad situation....I would use like a clay planter bottom and that way the tort can readily walk in or drink easily from the side and decrease any roll over issue....

Looks like a lovely little tort..
Thank you!

I'm at work but when I get home I will measure him

Heather715

Arizona
Hello and welcome to TFO

You were given a lot of incorrect information unfortunately. Pet stores have a habit of saying what they think customers want to hear.

I’ll start with the good news: You have a Russian Tortoise.

The rest is going to look horrible, sorry; I am not criticising you, but trying to give you the information the pet store should have told you.

It is a wild caught sub adult (still growing) and is definitely more than one year old - there’s no telling how old as they all grow at different rates.

It may be male. A good clear photo of the plastron (undershell) and tail is needed for confirmation.

Russians are very active, loving to dig and climb, and need lots of space. A vivarium is not suitable for a tort of this size. They need a minimum of 4’x8’

The substrate needs to be an earthy type - fine grade orchid bark or coco coir are great and cheapest bought from a garden store - and mixed with water so it is evenly damp throughout. This helps to raise humidity which helps your tort to grow a smooth shell.

Those reptile bowls are not suitable for tortoises, they’re a tipping hazard. A terracotta plant saucer makes a great water bowl. A piece of flat rock or slate, or even the back of a bathroom tile makes a flat food plate which helps to keep your tort’s beak in shape too.

I recommend you read the TFO care guides and compare them with your setup.

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
Thank you so much for all info! This what I needed
I want to make sure I am caring for him properly :)