Need to learn!

natashia

Location (City and/or State)
Durham
Hi everyone! Not really sure what I’m doing in this app! There are so many links to different places!

We are getting a 5 month old horsefeild in November..

Have the table etc set up coming with it which comes with a heat lamp and soil, food bowl/water bowls etc.

Am I right in thinking the temp needs to be 30-32 degrees Celsius?

We’re so stuck on what to feed our little one as we arnt very familiar with weeds/plants. What do you all feed yours on a daily basis.. do you feed them daily?

If anyone has any ‘need to know’ info! I would be so grateful if anyone would reply to this! Thanks in advance, Natashia [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Feed every day. Here is a site for safe plants/weeds/etc and those not too feed. You can also buy grocery greens like spring mix without spinach or very little spinach. Kale, mustard and collard greens, endive, ridicchio.
Check out the care sheet under the species specific section.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Hi everyone! Not really sure what I’m doing in this app! There are so many links to different places!

We are getting a 5 month old horsefeild in November..

Have the table etc set up coming with it which comes with a heat lamp and soil, food bowl/water bowls etc.

Am I right in thinking the temp needs to be 30-32 degrees Celsius?

We’re so stuck on what to feed our little one as we arnt very familiar with weeds/plants. What do you all feed yours on a daily basis.. do you feed them daily?

If anyone has any ‘need to know’ info! I would be so grateful if anyone would reply to this! Thanks in advance, Natashia [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

You'll going to receive very good advice here. Most likely better than any other place and or website currently available.

Here are some important link to threads you want to read up on:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Young tortoises require daily feedings. They require daily 20-30 minute soakings in warm water. Ignore people that tell you to raise them dry. Tortoises that live in arid climates keep themselves housed in humid environments through various methods. Keep humidity levels at 50-70%; the more the better.

Temperature and dietary needs are listed in the care sheet. You can buy broad-leaf weed and flower seed mixes from various tortoise supply retail sites. Succulent pads and cuttings are also available through local Hispanic grocery markets and sites that sell them in bulk. Avoid store bought grocery foods if possible because many commonly found Brassicaceae type foods such as kale can cause kidney and liver failures if eaten in excess. If fed sparingly however, these types of foods will be fine.

Buy timers and use them on your lighting fixtures. It's cheap and far more reliable than we can ever be.