Need tortoise surgeon for shell deformation in Los Angeles

Status
Not open for further replies.

jensbe

5 Year Member
Unfortunately my new addition to my Marginated group came with shell deformation. One of her severe challenges is the shell growth in the cloaca region. The space between plastron and carapace is to narrow. Her tail is not sticking out rather the tip is pointing up behind the carapace. After a couple of tail infections from her own poop my vet pointed out that she more likely will not able to pass any eggs. Anybody with experience of shell surgery here in Los Angeles or surrounding?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Jens

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
William Ridgeway, D.V.M. has a very good reputaion in the Los Angeles area for conducting successful surgeries on tortoises. I have not dealt with him personally, but have heard very good things about him. He works at the Long Beach Animal Hospital. You can google him.

jensbe

5 Year Member
Thanks Shelly. I will definitely contact him next week.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can also contact Tom, he may have a vet or two to recommend. Good luck. Keep us posted on what happens.

jensbe

5 Year Member
wellington said:
You can also contact Tom, he may have a vet or two to recommend. Good luck. Keep us posted on what happens.

Thank you for the contact.

Lancecham said:
Dr. Tom Greek is very good as well. He is in Yorba Linda.

May I ask did you use Dr Tom Greek for any shell surgery?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Is there any way you can provide a pic of his tail and distorted carapace? I have a rescue tort that has the same deformity and if it's a female, she too would have a difficult time laying eggs. In addition, the top of her carapace above her head is crushed in. This has caused an inability to stretch her neck out to feed. I have had to hand feed her just to get some weight on her. She's 4 years old now and weighs 2 lbs. She was 4 oz. when I got her 9 months ago!

jensbe said:
Thanks Shelly. I will definitely contact him next week.

jensbe

5 Year Member
sibi said:
Is there any way you can provide a pic of his tail and distorted carapace? I have a rescue tort that has the same deformity and if it's a female, she too would have a difficult time laying eggs. In addition, the top of her carapace above her head is crushed in. This has caused an inability to stretch her neck out to feed. I have had to hand feed her just to get some weight on her. She's 4 years old now and weighs 2 lbs. She was 4 oz. when I got her 9 months ago!

Hi Sylvia.
Let me take a picture for you tomorrow. I will post it here. Glad to read your tortoise is gaining weight quickly. Did I understand you right that in 9 months your tortoise went from 4 oz /0.25 lbs to almost 2 lbs?
Cheers,
Jens

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You got it right. She went from 4 oz to 2 lbs in nine months because I've been hand feeding her.
jensbe said:
sibi said:

Hi Sylvia.
Let me take a picture for you tomorrow. I will post it here. Glad to read your tortoise is gaining weight quickly. Did I understand you right that in 9 months your tortoise went from 4 oz /0.25 lbs to almost 2 lbs?
Cheers,
Jens

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Southern California
jensbe said:
wellington said:

Thank you for the contact.

Lancecham said:
Dr. Tom Greek is very good as well. He is in Yorba Linda.

May I ask did you use Dr Tom Greek for any shell surgery?

He specializes in reptiles and has treated many different types of my reptiles including tortoises. I have never used him for shell surgery, but I am sure he has done it. Feel free to contact his office and ask.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I would also be interested in pictures of this. I have a severely deformed Leopard in the rescue right now, and would love to get some comparison photos.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Dr. Greek will be speaking Friday at the CTTC-Orange County meeting. Their meetings are held at the lovely Chapman University campus. Come early and enjoy the art work throughout the grounds! Here's a paste of the notice ...

Dr. Tom Greek - Speaker for July's Meeting!
Hey Everyone.... .The CTTC's Orange County Chapter meeting is coming up this Friday - July 12th.
We will be having the very well known Reptile Veterinarian Dr. Tom Greek speaking and giving us a presentation! !
We hope you can make it.
Check us out on our website as www.occhaptercttc.org for location, directions and time.
Need a knowledgeable Reptile Vet?
Then this is a meeting you don't want to miss!
Come and join us this Friday night at Chapman University in the City of Orange.

You can also pick up fliers for the Orange County's Bigger and Better then
last years "Live Turtle and Tortoise Show" being held Sunday August 18th at
the La Habra Community Center in the City of La Habra!
Another event you do not want to miss!
This is the Largest Educational Live Turtle and Tortoise Show in Southern
Calif that we know of.....please won't you join us? Bring the whole family
as there is something for everyone in the family. From those in strollers
- which will fit easily down the isles... to Grandma and Grandpa who can
tell you stories about their tortoise when growing up! .....Come visit us
Aug. 18th from 10 a.m. to 3: p.m.
Or....would you like to join in the fun? We can always make room
for volunteers to help out with setting up, watching tables, closing down
or ?? Just let us know if you would like to volunteer for something.
Whether it's a couple of hours or the whole 5 hours..... We appreciate
anything you can give to us and the shelled family we all share!

Take care everyone and hope to see all of you very soon!
Sharon
President - Orange County Chapter
--
"The Turtlenutz" ....Tom and Sharon
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Orange County Chapter of - "The Calif. Turtle & Tortoise Club"
www.octortoisecttc. org

Status
Not open for further replies.