Needing a bit of help with starter kit???

Kimm91

Finally after months of trawling through websites breeder pages and Gumtree I'm finally picking up my hermann on Wednesday :D however since it's all kinda last minute what exactly am I going to need for the wee one he's apparently 2 years old and I know there's no guarantee on him being a he. If anyone could give me a quick rundown of a kinda starter shopping list that would be great :) I'll reward with loads of pics on Wednesday

Thanks

Kimm :)

Kris24_buckers

Location (City and/or State)
Devon, UK
Hello, I'm new and only got my two baby Hermann's on Saturday. But as you've not had a reply yet.

As a basic list.
A tortoise table, heat lamp and uv light (or combined), water/bathing dish, food dish, some sort of house/hiding place, piece of slate for basking under the lamp and some rocks for him to climb over, digital thermometer to keep an eye on temps, cuttle fish for calcium and help keep his beak trimmed.

You'll need a good 3-4 inches of substrate. I'm currently using a soil and play sand mix of 70/30, but I've been advised to use an organic soil and moss mix of 50/50.

This is what I've got and I'm by no means an expert but it's a start for you. I'm sure someone would come along and add anymore bits you may need.

Here's my table:
image.jpg
Good luck,
Kris

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Hi, Kimm! I'm May.

That's exciting news! :)

Kris gave you some good basics. I'd also recommend reading HermanniChris' care sheets. For enclosure, there are several things you can do. Check out the section on Tortoise Enclosures, under Specific Topics, tortoise topics. If you're looking for something to make do for now, a Rubbermaid, Roughneck Jumbo Storage Box - 50 gal (Size: 42.7" x 21.4" x 18") will do. You'll just need to get a bit creative setting up the light fixtures.

I like to give my guys different terrains, so I have small and large rocks and driftwood, on the substrate (topsoil + peat moss, 6" deep). See picture attached. The slabs are limestone, where I feed them; keeps the food free of debris. You can also use a big tile or large terracotta dish for potted plants.

I like using a small, shallow water dish for drinking water and use a large plastic tub for soaking. I'm not home all day to watch them, so I worry about them flipping over in the water dish.

Food wise, start off with spring mix. If I have time later, I'll post pictures of the weeds you can feed your Hermanni.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407798408.587771.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407798432.614459.jpg ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407798495.173377.jpg

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Kimm91

Thanks very much guys , as I said it is just to get started as I wasn't suppose to be getting one till closer to Christmas. Going to go shopping today I've also been told to use coco coir as a substrate. So I'll need one heat/ UVB lights and a basking lamp? Should these go at different ends or the same end of the enclosure? I'm going to read all the care sheets today and make a list :)

Thanks

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Coconut coir is fine, too. I just chose to use topsoil and peat moss because they're the closest type of terrain to Hermann's tortoises and more affordable. I'm in Canada and that stuff comes in very small bags. I got 2, 4'X4' enclosures that I fill up to 6". The 2 enclosures cost me less than $20/year to fill, as opposed to coir that I paid $7 for a small brick that barely covered the bottom of a 20-gallon tank.

As for the lighting, I have a UVB linear bulb unit and a basking lamp.

Basking lamp (150w): http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/daylight_basking_spot.php

UVB linear bulb (Repti Glo 5.0): http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/linear_fluorescent_bulbs.php

I place them in such way that they're getting heat and UVB in one spot and only UVB in the other. This way, if it gets too hot, they can still get UVB, while cooling down.

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Kimm91

Great! The only topsoil I've seen has been mixed with sand that's why I was going to steer clear of it until I find some without, one of the other members that live in Scotland too said I an et coco coir bricks from the pound shop so I'm going to try there. I know he's coming with a heat lamp so fingers crossed it's a good one

Reptilelove

Plymouth
Hello, I'm new and only got my two baby Hermann's on Saturday. But as you've not had a reply yet.

As a basic list.
A tortoise table, heat lamp and uv light (or combined), water/bathing dish, food dish, some sort of house/hiding place, piece of slate for basking under the lamp and some rocks for him to climb over, digital thermometer to keep an eye on temps, cuttle fish for calcium and help keep his beak trimmed.

You'll need a good 3-4 inches of substrate. I'm currently using a soil and play sand mix of 70/30, but I've been advised to use an organic soil and moss mix of 50/50.

This is what I've got and I'm by no means an expert but it's a start for you. I'm sure someone would come along and add anymore bits you may need.

Here's my table:
View attachment 91486
Good luck,
Kris
I have read that you use playsand, please dont. Sand is very bad for a tort, it packs up their stomach, its irritating if it gets under their scales and it too dry for the humidity levels required. I would suggest coco coir as its cheap and easy to use and gets the humidity levels perfect. :)