Neglected Tortoise

TortoiseLover2011

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I just rescued a 5 year old sulcata tortoise he is the size of my palm and his back feet kind of drag. The previous owners kept him in a wooden cage with a glass front and fed him only twice every week. His diet was mostly strawberries and cucumbers. His cage was 74 degrees and not the most well lit. Is there anything I can do to get this little guy to grow.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just rescued a 5 year old sulcata tortoise he is the size of my palm and his back feet kind of drag. The previous owners kept him in a wooden cage with a glass front and fed him only twice every week. His diet was mostly strawberries and cucumbers. His cage was 74 degrees and not the most well lit. Is there anything I can do to get this little guy to grow.
The first thing is to get him hydrated and up to the correct temperatures.

Start here and look for the sulcata care sheet near the bottom:

TortoiseLover2011

Arizona
The first thing is to get him hydrated and up to the correct temperatures.

Start here and look for the sulcata care sheet near the bottom:
Thank you so much

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I rescued a leopard years ago, kept in a small aquarium. He was the size of a one year old and he should have been the size of the leopard I already had, which was around 3 times bigger. Proper care, room, diet, heat, etc and therapy for him, he dragged himself when walking. He eventually caught up to his right size and even passed my other one. He walks right and even walks very fast
It can work and get them back to where they should have been. Will take time though and daily dedication.
Use hydrotherapy for his legs. Use a large container, I used my tub. Put enough warm water that he can't touch the bottom. With your support, one hand under him, help hold him up if needed and make him swim. Do this twice a day until he no longer needs you to support him and then once a day until he can walk properly. Never leave him alone while doing this.
Good luck and keep us posted.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Best of luck. And thank you.
I hate hearing stories like this. But I'm sure it's actually very common.
Welcome to the forum.
Hopefully we can help you help your new friend.
Immediately stop the fruit. And get him some unfilteted sunlight and warmth.