Maximus from then to now

Dannyyyrod

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hi everyone this my sulcata maximus his previous owners kept him in a shoe box and fed him oranges/spinach and he was barely given drops of water to drink he wasnt active and was kept in the dark until they finally decided to give him up as soon as they offered me him i instantly went out and got him a huge tank he now has a double dome light system and outdoor enclousre hes being fed collard greens and other goodies he is soaked twice a week and misted multiple times a day he runs around outside for an hour a day im not sure how old he is your guess is as good as mine all i know is he is living his best life now and i just wanted to share his progress with all of you here are some pictures of when i got him to this very day IMG_1533191138.085149.jpgIMG_1533191144.474494.jpgIMG_6736.jpgIMG_7514.jpg

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Double dome fixtures will not be able to provide sufficient heat, uvb, and light across an indoor enclosure that fits the needs for a Sulcata. The substrate used in the first picture looks like sand, a not very ideal substrate choice. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it already look like that tortoise's eye is irritated?

Can you give us more information regarding your setup so forum members can direct you towards a better alternative in regards to size, affordability, and possible concerns.

That Sulcata looks young, pre-juvenile, maybe a yearling at best. Right now you'll need a bigger indoor enclosure, at least something in the realms of 6 x 2 feet/8 x 4 feet, even at that a healthy Sulcata would likely outgrow it within 1-2 years or so.

In 3-5 years that sulcata is going to require a large outdoor enclosure with a heated hide and protective measures to keep predators away.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome! I’m assuming that first picture is from when you first got him?
It’s great that you rescued him! He appears to be in good hands.

Just to be safe, please give these a read :)
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Dannyyyrod

Arizona
Double dome fixtures will not be able to provide sufficient heat, uvb, and light across an indoor enclosure that fits the needs for a Sulcata. The substrate used in the first picture looks like sand, a not very ideal substrate choice. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it already look like that tortoise's eye is irritated?

Can you give us more information regarding your setup so forum members can direct you towards a better alternative in regards to size, affordability, and possible concerns.

That Sulcata looks young, pre-juvenile, maybe a yearling at best. Right now you'll need a bigger indoor enclosure, at least something in the realms of 6 x 2 feet/8 x 4 feet, even at that a healthy Sulcata would likely outgrow it within 1-2 years or so.

In 3-5 years that sulcata is going to require a large outdoor enclosure with a heated hide and protective measures to keep predators away.

I am currently in the progress of getting him new fixtures hes is getting a upgrade on his indoor enclosure this weekend im looking at a 55 gallon reptile tank The lighting in the photo was bad i can assure you his eye is okay and the first picture when he is in the sand is because his previous owner insisted on setting up his enclosure for me i quickly replaced all the sand within the first 30 mins i got him right after she left he is currently in a mixture of top soil cypress mulch and orchid moss.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
You may have lucked out depending on the price you got him or her for. Good find, especially at that stage. That Sulcata may very well have been struggling to survive before you rescued it.

A 55 gallon tank may be too narrow in width. Building a table from an existing bookcase or plywood may be a cheaper and more spacious solution.

Stick to daily soakings until the tortoise gets older. the hatching, yearling, and juvenile stage is when extra care is required. They're near indestructible when they become adults.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Keep in mind that if you decide to build a table, you’ll have to find a way to cover it. I would just build a closed chamber.