Nerdle-sick tortoise

TMK1971

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
So, I have adopted a sick tortoise as you can see

and

Long story, short...my wife's student brought him in a 10 gallon glass tank with no substrate and said he was not doing well and that they had to get rid of it.
I am going to try and get him back to a healthy state and will post updates from time to time in this thread. Luckily, he/she is now eating mostly kale, some collard greens, and dandelion leaves...munched on some of the cabage leaves as well. I have sprinkled some powdered reptile vitamins while it was eating. I think he/she was only being fed lettuce...ugh. I also put in a cutlebone but Nerdle hasn't touched it yet. I need to get some calcium powder, but only have some with D3 for my kid's leopard geckos. Figured with the sunlight during the day the D# might be a bit too much.
I have already received some good advice on a solution for soothing his buldging eyes from Yvonne in the introduction forum.
I also got some good advice to get rid of the sand in his new habitat from Jacqui. This was before I mixed the sand into the dirt. I had already mixed the sand into the dirt around the plants and feeding area...my thought were the entrance to the enclosure and basking spot would benefit from the sand on top. Guess not....
tortoirse-8.jpg
[/URL][/img]
The sun creeps in but still has good cover and 1/3 of it stays in the shade.
tortoirse-3.jpg
[/URL][/img]
Currently, I am bringing him in at night into a 40 gallon tank with hide and ceramic heat lamp. I then move him/her into the outside habitat around 9am with the ceramic heat lamp for a basking spot.
I have browsed this forum and will continue to research. Luckily Nerdle is eating and pooping. I have soaked him twice and will continue to do so every other day for awhile. I just adopted him on Friday...I have a lot of work ahead of me and any advice is welcomed. Wish me luck!
I am sure I will have more questions and remember, I am saving this tortoise, so please don't yell at me for his condition.

I just thought it might be cool to show whomever is interested the progress and hopefully (fingers crossed) the success of rehabilitating of Nerdle. Since I am new to this forum and if this is not a good idea, please let me know and I will not continue.

Cheers~!

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Well at least he's eating. I'll be anxious to see your progress.

Do you know why his eyes are swollen? Bulb, infection?

TMK1971

Southern California
bettinge said:

I have read where it happens to tortoises that are not fed a proper diet...and dehydration.
Bulb infection???...oh boy, better google that one.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
TMK1971 said:
bettinge said:

I have read where it happens to tortoises that are not fed a proper diet...and dehydration.
Bulb infection???...oh boy, better google that one.

I think bettinge meant bulb, or infection. Coil bulbs have been known to cause eye damage.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
TMK1971 said:
So, I have adopted a sick tortoise as you can see

and

Long story, short...my wife's student brought him in a 10 gallon glass tank with no substrate and said he was not doing well and that they had to get rid of it.
I am going to try and get him back to a healthy state and will post updates from time to time in this thread. Luckily, he/she is now eating mostly kale, some collard greens, and dandelion leaves...munched on some of the cabage leaves as well. I have sprinkled some powdered reptile vitamins while it was eating. I think he/she was only being fed lettuce...ugh. I also put in a cutlebone but Nerdle hasn't touched it yet. I need to get some calcium powder, but only have some with D3 for my kid's leopard geckos. Figured with the sunlight during the day the D# might be a bit too much.
I have already received some good advice on a solution for soothing his buldging eyes from Yvonne in the introduction forum.
I also got some good advice to get rid of the sand in his new habitat from Jacqui. This was before I mixed the sand into the dirt. I had already mixed the sand into the dirt around the plants and feeding area...my thought were the entrance to the enclosure and basking spot would benefit from the sand on top. Guess not....
tortoirse-8.jpg
[/URL][/img]
The sun creeps in but still has good cover and 1/3 of it stays in the shade.
tortoirse-3.jpg
[/URL][/img]
Currently, I am bringing him in at night into a 40 gallon tank with hide and ceramic heat lamp. I then move him/her into the outside habitat around 9am with the ceramic heat lamp for a basking spot.
I have browsed this forum and will continue to research. Luckily Nerdle is eating and pooping. I have soaked him twice and will continue to do so every other day for awhile. I just adopted him on Friday...I have a lot of work ahead of me and any advice is welcomed. Wish me luck!
I am sure I will have more questions and remember, I am saving this tortoise, so please don't yell at me for his condition.

I just thought it might be cool to show whomever is interested the progress and hopefully (fingers crossed) the success of rehabilitating of Nerdle. Since I am new to this forum and if this is not a good idea, please let me know and I will not continue.

Cheers~!

GOD bless all the Teachers in America (especially your wife).

You not only educating the next generation, also rescuing their miss treated and unwanted pet Tortoises. May God Bless! ! ! ! !

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
I will be cheering you & Nerdle on! I was not able to enlarge the picture to get a clear look but it looks like Nerdle could use a beak trim. I am happy for Nerdle you found TFO! With the help of the experts here I look forward to the progress reports and hope Nerdle has many more years with his/ her new family.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
TortsNTurtles said:
I will be cheering you & Nerdle on! I was not able to enlarge the picture to get a clear look but it looks like Nerdle could use a beak trim.

Yes his beak is a little long, but he is still able to eat with it like that, so it's not an emergency thing to be fixed.

TMK1971 said:

Cheers~!

This is fine, in fact it's a great thing to be doing.

With the beak, Yvonne already mentioned how you can trim it down as I recall, so I won't go into it again. Or if you are uncomfortable with it, a Vet is good to have them show you how to do it the first time. Feeding on an unglazed terra cotta plant water saucer, a piece of tile, or a flat rock will help to keep it down, once you have it trimmed.

Along with that feeding weeds (which are more fiberous), feeding the leaves in whole pieces rather then cutting it up, and feeding those hard stems like on the collard greens all are natural things to wear down a beak. Even feeding a whole carrot once a month helps (not those baby ones which have the tougher outside peel already taken off).

I know you mentioned you gave him a cuttlebone, but it's been ignored. I just wanted to let you know that's not unusual. They can sit for months and then one day, your tortoise may decide he needs the added calcium and will use it. Some never do.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes...its a very good idea to have a continuing thread showing the progress of a sick tortoise. All the members will be rooting for you, and these type threads help others who may be too shy to ask their own questions. Even if the tortoise (God forbid) doesn't make it, we want to know.

TMK1971

Southern California
TortsNTurtles said:
I will be cheering you & Nerdle on! I was not able to enlarge the picture to get a clear look but it looks like Nerdle could use a beak trim. I am happy for Nerdle you found TFO! With the help of the experts here I look forward to the progress reports and hope Nerdle has many more years with his/ her new family.

Yvonne mentioned the same thing....seems crazy to me, not the idea just the fact of doing it with a dremel or something. YIKES! I am good with power tools, just never thought I would use it for that.
Guess I will youtube it and watch somebody first...unless someone has a good refence I could browse. Thanks for your interest.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tim:

someone mentioned (on the other thread) using Vita Shell on your tortoise's shell. Just to let you know that this product does nothing to strengthen the shell. It is merely a topical and makes the shell look clean and shiny. In my opinion, it is a product strictly for the tortoise observer, and not for the tortoise.

TMK1971

Southern California
Just so everyone at TFO knows, I am listening...
I worked on the habitat this morning and really mixed the sand into the dirt. I think this is now acceptable. Also, on the menu today is some geranium, rose, and hibiscus leaves...dunno if he/she will eat them but they are there.
tortoirse-1-1.jpg
[/URL][/img]
Also, here is one of his now daily soaks for a couple of weeks. I put the bucket on a slight slant so that the water is deeper towards the rear and he gets some exersise...but he likes to turn around and dunk his head (good sign???):
tortoirse-2-1.jpg
[/URL][/img]
and as promised to a member about helping me out with the sex. Will this work?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If he is dunking his head under the water, then yep it's a great sign. :) The soil looks great. The tail looks long enough to be a male's to me. You are really doing a great job! :)

TMK1971

Southern California
Jacqui said:
There are several good threads on beak trimming, here is one:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66943.html

Awesome, thanks. I think I will wait just a bit to get him use to me and his environment before I grind his beak. Also, need to get some of those steri-strips. Need to look into how much to do at a sitting since it is so over grown. I don't want to hit that blood line.

Volksvegan

Ontario, Canada
Great work on getting him settled! Nerdle is one lucky tort to have found you. BTW - did your sons name him? Love it!

TMK1971

Southern California
Volksvegan said:
Great work on getting him settled! Nerdle is one lucky tort to have found you. BTW - did your sons name him? Love it!

Yes, they named him Nerdle. I told them he wasn't a turtle (as in Nerdle the Turtle rhymes)...but they liked it anyway and I think it is better than Nortise the tortoise (no offense if someone named their tort that!) My boys are 7, 10, and 13.
So...Nerdle it is!

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
TMK1971 said:
Volksvegan said:

Yes, they named him Nerdle. I told them he wasn't a turtle (as in Nerdle the Turtle rhymes)...but they liked it anyway and I think it is better than Nortise the tortoise (no offense if someone named their tort that!) My boys are 7, 10, and 13.
So...Nerdle it is!

All tortoises are turtles ...but not all turtles are tortoises!

TMK1971

Southern California
Well, then I guess those three knuckleheads know more than I do...but I am sure they are unaware of it!

So, today I decided to try Nerdle in his terracotta saucer for his morning soak. I dumped the old water out (cold) and added some fresh (warm). I got him out of his inside tank (only to sleep in at night) and put him directly into the the saucer. He tried to get out at first but I kept Nerdle in it...gently...and after a minute at most, he (I am just going with "he" until someone tells me differently) sat there. I closed the the lid on his habitat and he just relaxed. Did the front leg "kneading" thing. He put his head down for a bit under the water, moved it in and out of his shell...seemed to me that he was enjoying it. I know I thought it was better than the tub on a slant in my garage. After about 15 minutes he got out and sat in the ....well, not really sunny here today, a bit overcast. Still the temp is 69 degrees in the shade. Then he turned around to face the water and put one front leg back in. Almost like when you are at a pool and put a leg in to feel the wetness. I sat watching him for about 10 more minutes and then...had to go back to work. I work from home, so...I will check on him again later.
Hope everyone has a great day and an even better weekend.
Cheers~