Nesting long time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbaker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I caught one of my Ornates nesting yesterday. She was backed in deep up to her nose. I wasn't sure at first that she was even nesting. I watched her dance in her hole for over an hour and then went and watched "Prison Break". Checked again and she was still dancing. I had to get some sleep because I am travelling for work today.

This morning I dug up four beautiful eggs. This is a first for me - Ornate eggs.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Fascinated by uncommon behavior! She was completely in the hole she dug? How did she continue scooping dirt out of the hole? And how deep were the eggs laid?

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
supremelysteve said:
Fascinated by uncommon behavior! She was completely in the hole she dug? How did she continue scooping dirt out of the hole? And how deep were the eggs laid?

Guesstimating...the main hole was about 6-7 inches deep and then about another 2 inches for the egg chamber. "Normally" the mother would pull dirt away with her hind feet to on top of ground level, but she was so deep she was just pushing it around. Maybe that's why she took so long to finish. The dirt was never quite where she wanted it being no place to put the dirt.

M

Maggie Cummings

great! I have 2 Ornates who are nesting off and on but don't really finish off. One of them only has one rear leg so it's kind of difficult for her. I am really hoping for eggs from them...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just got in a group of ornata and I'm hoping for eggs too.

Status
Not open for further replies.