Status
Not open for further replies.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Calypso is nesting again!

It's only been 18 days since she laid the other two eggs (which I'm fearing are NOT fertile).

So will the chances of this clutch be higher or lower that they're fertile? We want some fertile eggs!

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
She laid two eggs, and they already appear to be chalking!!!!!!!!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sassy_Canuk

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
YIPPEE!!!! baby Torts are always exciting :D I can't wait to see them!

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Congrats Kelly! You must be beside yourself!

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I am... and over myself, under myself... and opposite myself! ROFL! No but really, we are so thrilled and the fact that they look like they're chalking already had me ready to jump for joy!!! I hope we don't screw anything up.

Just yesterday the incubator got unplugged (it's in Deontay's room) and when I found out it was down to 72 degrees. Now granted i don't think the first two eggs are fertile, but still I was like... UGH! Glad that was yesterday and not today!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Thats great news Kelly. :D Don't give up on the first 2 eggs, but it does sound like the 2nd clutch might have a better chance. Can you take a picture of the eggs?

Danny

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Congrats Kelly. We may have babies around the same time yet. I weighed Echo today and she is back up into the 900+gram mark which is where she was when she laid last time but no signs of nesting. But I am just so happy for you and so tickled that they are already chalking. Yehhhhhhhhh!

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I can get pics.... can I use a flash or is that bad for the eggs?

In both clutches she laid a smaller first egg and a larger second egg! When the first clutch came I left them in the nest for awhile while she buried it and rested. With this second batch, I snatched them right away before she buried them (and she didn't even realize, dear soul buried up that next anyway!) Since these chalked SO quickly maybe the first two did too and I just didn't see it since they were in her nest longer, at least a half-hour. I'll keep them incubating and see!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Flash is fine Kelly. :D Actually chalking takes longer than a day to happen, but some fertile eggs will have white spots on them when laid. 2 days is the quickest I've had an egg start to chalk. If you shine a light into the egg Kelly, in a dark room, from the top. A fertile egg will have the yolk settled to the bottom of the egg and there will be a distinct line about half way down the egg, horizontally.

Danny

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
okay well that's good to know. the eggs today did have white spots and blotches on them clustered together. now the coloring all looks even I think. sound fertile?

off to snap a pic

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
the first two eggs:
103_4258.jpg

the recent clutch:
103_4262.jpg

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The last 2 look like freshly laid eggs :p Hard to tell with the picture, but are the first 2 any whiter than the last 2? Your best bet is candling them with a small flashlight Kelly.

Danny

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
no, not really any whiter. we tried but our lil flashlight is crap.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You need to get a keychain minimag flashlight, Solitaire. I got mine at walmart for like $6.
It does look like the first 2 aren't fertile, but no giving up on them yet. Give them another month.
What temperature are you doing?

Danny

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
yah we'll keep 'em incubating but I'm pretty much counting on nothing from the first two. the second two i have high hopes for, though!

88 degrees is what we've had 'em at.

Sassy_Canuk

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
*sigh* such lovely eggs! Thanks for showing us the pics, Kelly :)

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
they are lovely, aren't they?!?! Deontay thinks i'm insane whenever I check on them and I say, "I love you, and you, and you and you!" He rolls his eyes!

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
I hope twins are in your future:D
Good luck!

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I got a good Mag-Lite and I don't see anything in any of the eggs. I'll incubate them all the same, though, and hope for a miracle! ...or hope for some of the other girls to lay eggs soon!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I'm pulling for you Kelly. Mine took almost a week to show that line as Danny talked about. Now I can actually see veins in two of the eggs ( I think they are veins) they look like a reddend road going towards the top of the eggs on one side. I know I held my breath and still am that I don't do something wrong. But I know you will have success. Hey you could name one miracle. If you don't use it maybe I will. Fingers crossed and saying prayers for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.