NESTING?

maui sulcata

Location (City and/or State)
maui
Just came outside to check on the torts and my 16yr old Female is digging white her rear feet. Pretty sure she’s nesting. I had no clue she was Travis and I have no incubator. So for all you breeders out there what would be the best incubator out there besides a homemade one.IMG_0837.jpgIMG_0839.jpg

maui sulcata

maui
I’ve been watching her this whole time. She ended up turning around digging with front legs and now she’s sideways digging. Maybe she isn’t nesting. But then again I’m a noobie to all of this so I don’t know the signs. Here’s some new pics

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Read this: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/
Most of what you will read is wrong. Trust me on this. I learned the hard way over many years.

Leave them in the ground until you get the incubator up and running. I've left mine in the ground for months in summer or winter here, and they are fine. Having them in an incubator while you are getting the temperature set and stabilized can kill them.

Use a puppy pen or some sort of wire basket to keep your dog out of that area. After a few days, there will be no sign or scent of the nest anyway.

I prefer the Hovabator because they are a little deeper. Little Giant is good too. Either of these will barely hold one clutch in a shoe box.

If this is going to be a regular occurrence, you will need a very large incubator. I have a 30 cu.ft. stand up freezer converted into an incubator, and my few tortoises darn near fill it up every year.