Neuroscientist studying his dog's brain

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
Thought all the animal lovers on here would be interested in this NY Times article by a neuroscientist who trained his dog and others to get MRIs, and learned some fascinating things about how dogs' brains work.

Here's a quote from the story and a link to it:

"The ability to experience positive emotions, like love and attachment, would mean that dogs have a level of sentience comparable to that of a human child. And this ability suggests a rethinking of how we treat dogs."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/opinion/sunday/dogs-are-people-too.html?smid=pl-share

reatrocity

5 Year Member
West Virginia, United States
Really interesting! :) Thanks for sharing. I think many other animals are the same way, even if we can't necessarily prove it, which is why I refuse to eat animal products. It's the circle of life and to each their own, but I can't do it in good conscious, especially since we use animals in so many other ways. I hope eventually people start taking the welfare of animals more seriously and see them and respect them as equals. Only then will we more closely look at the damage we're causing to our world. Unfortunately I feel this is completely idealistic, and if it ever happens, it definitely won't happen in my lifetime.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Wow, scientists/doctors will stop at nothing will they.

I did not need a doctor/scientist/radiation riddled test to tell me animals respond to positive behavior ....I have always known they enjoy pleasure--as do most living things...but again, they can only guess this is the case, this is a group of folks that are trying to gain access to allowing people to be cited for treatment of animals --I thought we already had this--Animal Control, I thought people were already able to be cited and arrested for animal cruelty? I don't see what the big difference/deal is here?

I bet alot of money was used during this "experiment" also, what is the eventual outcome for this dozen of test subjects?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
A lot of us knew this already, just because we own dogs and as humans we have had dogs for thousands of years as mans best friend. However science needs to do experimental work in order to prove that this is the case. Then they can have real evidence of the way the brain works, instead of just guessing or making up theories. I like science articles from the simple experiments all the way to adding matter to light or DNA sequence or anything else that's just cool

Check out my site and channel:
Www.tortoise-spot.webs.com
Www.youtube.com/tortoisespot

Oh and scientist won't stop till there are no more questions to be answered

Check out my site and channel:
Www.tortoise-spot.webs.com
Www.youtube.com/tortoisespot

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
As a dog lover and avid dog behaviour enthusiast, I'm excited about some other findings that will come out of such studies. But, why must we reclassify dogs as "people," at all? I mean, they are better than some people I know and do we really need to prove that they have emotions--we already know it!--in order to better relate to them?

Can we fund research on how to eliminate jerks and animal abusers? Just my .02 cents.

May[TURTLE]
1.1.0 Hermannis: Darwin & Wallace
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket

Status
Not open for further replies.