New 2 month old baby

sophie8808

Location (City and/or State)
Eagan MN
Can anyone post a photo of a 2 month old pyrimiding vs non pyramiding? I am finding a lot of photos of older torts, where it's obvious, but what am I watching for at this age?

sophie8808

Eagan MN
I looked through many pages, but I am still not seeing a side by side comparison. My concern, of course, is that someone said my girl was pyramiding, but I am seeing a smooth shell. Maybe I'm missing something...

Attachments

• 1434032813155-32971994.jpg
    1434032813155-32971994.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Maybe I'm mistaken, I don't think so, but the picture of her in your Hand shows deep fissures between her schutes. I believe that's the schutes growing up instead of spreading out. Each ring of new growth that grows up instead of out causes the schutes to look more and more knobby. Its not bad yet just beginning. I've learned to recognize it because my most recent torch has been raised dry and is Pyramided

Attachments

• IMG_20150327_235317.jpg
    IMG_20150327_235317.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I just looked at the link in tidgys dads reply and the very first picture shows A baby with no fissures between the schutes. the lines are even with the schutes. Smoooooth. I'm sure that one was a little Youmger than yours but that is the epitomy of perfect if you could grow them to adulthood that way.

sophie8808

Eagan MN
That's super helpful. Now I know better what to watch for. I doused her whole enclosure today, and I will wrap the enclosure in plastic when I get home from work. Hopefully, that will help with her heat, too. I'd like to get it warmer and am waiting for delivery of her ceramic bulb.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yes, it's very important that with an increase in humidity the temperature is kept high.
Cool, wet and humid is bad.

sophie8808

Eagan MN
It's in the high 80's in her basking spot. I'd like to see 90s, right? I'm so worried about her bulbs being too bright, and hurting her tiny eyes.
Unrelated side note- her "stink eye" expression is just killing me, in a good way. She looks so crabby!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
As long as you don't use coil bulbs and you're at the recommended minimum distance or above, it should be fine.

sophie8808

Eagan MN
My bulb isn't "coiled," but I think it's incorrect. There is a photo in this feed.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I don't know this one, but it looks like a variant of a coil bulb to me.
An mvb like the pictures posted underneath is what I use.
Heat, light and uv in one bulb.

sophie8808

Eagan MN
I pretty much bought all of the wrong stuff for heat and light! I could have saved so much cash with this one bulb and light :/
when I purchase it, I will have three lamps, and three bulbs without function. I should have joined this forum, instead of reading a bunch of "care sheets" and searching the internet!
There is so much conflicting information!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I pretty much bought all of the wrong stuff for heat and light! I could have saved so much cash with this one bulb and light :/
when I purchase it, I will have three lamps, and three bulbs without function. I should have joined this forum, instead of reading a bunch of "care sheets" and searching the internet!
There is so much conflicting information!
There certainly is, partly because many people are still using outdated methods, partly because some are trying to sell something and partly because there isn't always a single correct way. There is opinion even here,though I firmly believe this is the best place to come for up to date tortoise care.
I use coco coir and have never had a problem with mold.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I switchEd to something I bought off Amazon that is mostly dirt looking. it's not the cube stuff that a lot of people use here but was recommended here. I think its basicly the same stuff.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I don't remember what your setup looks like but any exposed wood may get moldy or rotted with an increase of humidity. I lined both of my enclosures with pond liner but some people use shower curtain or a heavy plastic under their substrate that way they can just pour water in the corners to raise humidity and not worry about the wood frame.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I would get a digital thermometer hygrometer that has a lead probe to put inside your enclosure so that the instrument itself isn't exposed to the humidity. the stick on button ones are fickle and usually don't work.

you can get them off Amazon for 10 or 15 dollars