New Adopted Tortoise Owner..

Status
Not open for further replies.

tropicaltraveler

5 Year Member
Hey Folks. Just thought I would say hello and introduce myself and the tortoise that I recently adopted. We live in New York, so he would not survive winter. I did not want to see him put down so I offered to take him in. I believe it is a Sulcata. His shell is not in the greatest of shape but I will hopefully be able to help him from now on. He is probably a sub-adult size. I haven't measured him yet. I have begun to rig up something inside for winter but was hoping to get some tips for an indoor winter enclosure for older Sulcatas. If you have any comments please let me know!!

Kelly

Attachments

• tortoise2.jpg
    tortoise2.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 37

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Kelly!!

You're a brave, brave person. :p Its not going to be easy keeping a sulcata indoors in the winter in New York. Quite a few people back east have devoted space in the basement to tortoises. I don't think a heated shed would work, too cold there. Some people have even turned over a bedroom to their sulcata, but this would take some major overhaul of the room to make it sulcata-safe/friendly.

Your tortoise doesn't look too bad. I've seen a lot worse.

Glad you've joined our forum, and I look forward to hearing more about your sulcata adventures.

tropicaltraveler

5 Year Member
Thanks. I am converting an area in the basement for the tortoise now. He seems to have taken to the old unused Dog house in the yard, so he has that outside right now. I will do my best at making this a good home for such a large tortoise. This Forum seems to be a great resource for both the beginner and experienced tortoise owner. I look forward to getting to know some of you!!

Kelly
emysemys said:
Welcome to the Forum, Kelly!!

You're a brave, brave person. :p Its not going to be easy keeping a sulcata indoors in the winter in New York. Quite a few people back east have devoted space in the basement to tortoises. I don't think a heated shed would work, too cold there. Some people have even turned over a bedroom to their sulcata, but this would take some major overhaul of the room to make it sulcata-safe/friendly.

Your tortoise doesn't look too bad. I've seen a lot worse.

Glad you've joined our forum, and I look forward to hearing more about your sulcata adventures.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
I don't think he looks too bad either. There have been other rescues I've seen on here that we're A LOT worse. Welcome!

ColorfulTortoise

5 Year Member
New England
Welcome, Tropical Traveler! Good luck with your sulcata. I agree with the others..it's best to devote a room to the sulcata.

M

Maggie Cummings

I agree with the rest that his carapace doesn't look too bad. If you get him on a good diet now as he grows his carapace will spread out and those pyramids will be little spikes.
So welcome to you both...

Status
Not open for further replies.