New at this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harley

5 Year Member
Ok so as it says in the subject I'm new at this. I've ton a lot of research and get different answers. So I figures this is the best place. I have a I believe 4 month old sulcata. This is the enclosure he is in right now. We are talking about making a tortoise table. A few questions. He just today decided that he wanted to dig out the bedding from the back. And he has been pacing. I don't know if that means anything?? Someone told me that it's bad to be in a glass enclosure because it causes respiratory problems is this true? I'm not sure if its glass or acrylic. Should I feed him everyday or every other? I've heard both. And the big one is can I have water in his enclosure? I've again heard both. The top isn't completely closed. It has holes in it. I know these are a lot of questions. I just want what's best for Harley. Please let me know,

Thanks

DNA

Thanks

Attachments

• image-2837420978.png
    image-2837420978.png
    735.8 KB · Views: 40

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
How long ave you had it? My little guy paced his 20 gal tank for the first few days to a week after I got him. Yours is probably just exploring is surroundings.
You can have water in his enclosure, I suggest using one of the ceramic saucers they use for plants.

You should feed him everyday. I do 2 smaller meals as opposed to one large one. (mine makes less of a mess that way). I had my little guy in a 20 gal long tank for about 2 months before he out grew it. I suggest you go ahead and start working on your tortoise table! Lol.

Cover as much of the enclosure as possible while he is young. This will keep the humidity up and produce a healthy smooth shelled sully. Have only had my sully for a few months. You will learn a bunch from the bigger guys on this forum! Sure did. The previous owner of my baby told me some very false information on my little guy!

Last post?, I think. Lol I never had problems with Chomper getting sick in his tank. Yours should be fine as long as you keep your temps high enoug.

jtrux

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
Read the stickies at the top of the forum and you will get all your answers. Good luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Harley and welcome to the forum!

A few things jump out at me, but bear in mind these are opinions, and not died in the wool, true blue facts, as there is no ONE way to keep tortoises:

Pellets for bedding is no good. You want to be able to moisten your substrate so that the baby grows smoothly (this really is a fact and not an opinion-something new). I like orchid bark or cypress mulch.

An aquarium if fine. If the baby looks like he'd like to walk through the glass then you can wrap a bit of newspaper around the bottom 3 or 4 inches on the outside.

The cover if good too, however, if its a screen, then the UVB rays are partially being filtered out by the screen.

Baby tortoise will eat every chance they get. No one in the wild tells them that this is the "other" day and not to eat. I feed my babies every day and some of our members even feed twice a day.

If you have cypress mulch or orchid bark a waterer is a good thing to have (on pellets it molds under the waterer). Just make sure it has low sides so he can't tip over backwards as he climbs out.

You signed your post "DNA." Is this your name or is it texting speak?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome :) this is the best place to find all the correct ways for raising your little one. Check out the threads at the bottom of my post, by my signature. They are Toms and great advice for raising sulcatas.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome...we no longer use pellets for substrate..it causes mold. Click the links below my signature, there is all kinds of good info on raising your sulcata...

Scott

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Welcome, Harley! Put a thermometer and hygrometer on each end of the tank so you can keep a close eye on the temperature/humidity. Especially humidity... you might be surprised to find out that the humidity is very low despite your efforts to raise it.

My experience: I had been misting several times a day and assumed that the enclosure was humid because I could see the substrate was damp. But when I started monitoring the humidity, I found out that it was less than 10%! Humidity is particularly tough to control this time of year because the ambient air is so dry.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Hi and welcome!

You have come to the right place! you will learn a lot here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.