New baby and a new tortoise parent

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paris, Texas
She seems to be doing great! I still don't think I'm sold on the 2 year old part though lol I'm still saying she's quite young! she's growing perfectly!

robopetz

Hi all!

Another update! I had her for about 3 months now and she is growing and eating like a pig! Lol She went from 47 grams to 115 grams. Growing well? Also, how does her shell look so far?

Ty!

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1498631390.300449.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1498631403.954390.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Nice job on the sulcata! Your tortoise is doing great, and you are doing a great job. Congratulations!

I have been watching this thread as I didn't want to discourage you. If indeed your tortoise was 1 yr 8 mos old when you got it, you would have had a tough road ahead of you. I've raised hundreds of sulcatas, and the kind of growth and how yours is doing since you got it, confirms your tortoise was just a new hatchling when you got it. One with no growth for 20 months would not suddenly start to grow as yours is now. There would have to be organ damage and other "hatchling failure syndrome" things keeping it from growing, and those cannot be suddenly reversed.

Consider your tortoise a 6 month old now. Not a 2+ year old.

Enjoy your sulcata. Your tortoise is obviously enjoying life with you!

robopetz

Nice job on the sulcata! Your tortoise is doing great, and you are doing a great job. Congratulations!

I have been watching this thread as I didn't want to discourage you. If indeed your tortoise was 1 yr 8 mos old when you got it, you would have had a tough road ahead of you. I've raised hundreds of sulcatas, and the kind of growth and how yours is doing since you got it, confirms your tortoise was just a new hatchling when you got it. One with no growth for 20 months would not suddenly start to grow as yours is now. There would have to be organ damage and other "hatchling failure syndrome" things keeping it from growing, and those cannot be suddenly reversed.

Consider your tortoise a 6 month old now. Not a 2+ year old.

Enjoy your sulcata. Your tortoise is obviously enjoying life with you!

Thank you!!! I remember being on here allot trying to get all the info I could to ensure this tort is properly cared for. Much thanks to you all who helped too!