Quarantine for a new baby tortoise ?

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
Hello tortoise friends,

on friday I`ll get a new sulcata baby, 8 months old to complete my group of now three torts.
Should I keep the new baby in quarantine and when, for how long time ?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello tortoise friends,

on friday I`ll get a new sulcata baby, 8 months old to complete my group of now three torts.
Should I keep the new baby in quarantine and when, for how long time ?
Yes definitely for a minimum of 6 months.

Bee62

Germany
Wow, that`s a long time ! No way to shorten these 6 months ? And when the new baby looks good, is acting healthy and is good eating ?
What could be wrong with the new tort ? Herpes virus ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sure, you can shorten it if you want to risk the health of your tortoises.
If these are all young tortoises, you do know you will most likely have to house all of them separately as they would be too young to sex. Just be prepared. Even now they will need a very large enclosure so they don't bully each other or the one they perceive as the weakest

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My vet recommends 12 months of quarantine and several rounds of diagnostic testing, if you wish to protect your existing herd.

Is the new one coming from the same source as the first three? Has it had any contact with other tortoises? Does the breeder have multiple species?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Wow, that`s a long time ! No way to shorten these 6 months ? And when the new baby looks good, is acting healthy and is good eating ?
What could be wrong with the new tort ? Herpes virus ?
The problem with tortoises is that they're slow ... and that includes slow to show signs of ill health.

A long quarantine period gives both the new tort and the ones you own opportunity to show any illness or parasites that they have picked up.

There is no way of shortening this period without putting all your tortoises at risk. You must maintain proper hygiene throughout and take care with hand washing and to use separate equipment.

Bee62

Germany
O.K. I understand that there is no way to shorten the length of quarantine for the new one.
Thank you @JoesMum , @wellington and @Tom for your answers.

The new tort comes from another breeder. He keeps the babies not together with his adult torts and he is only keeping sulcatas. He wrote me that his adult torts are all checked by a VET and never been sick, nor the babies he sells, but I know that some breeders tell you a lot of fairytails to sell their torts...
So the new tort baby will get an extra indoor enclosure and I follow your advice of proper hygiene.
Thank you !

@wellington
I was told that sulcatas can do well in a group, when they are young. Because of building a group I bought this new one. I thought 4 are better than 3. My three ones are always together and I cant see any bullying yet. Alll three torts grew steady and gain steady in weight.
But when they grew older and something went wrong I can keep them seperate from each other.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The new tort comes from another breeder. He keeps the babies not together with his adult torts and he is only keeping sulcatas. He wrote me that his adult torts are all checked by a VET and never been sick, nor the babies he sells, but I know that some breeders tell you a lot of fairytails to sell their torts...

Given these factors, I'd be comfortable with just a month or two of quarantine. Run a fecal when you first get the new baby, and then run another one after 3-4 weeks. If both are clean, and you are seeing steady weight gain during that time, you are probably fine.

Just understand that anytime you add anything or change anything, there is some risk. A lengthy quarantine period, with proper diagnostic testing throughout, is designed to reduce this risk.

Bee62

Germany
Thank you Tom. I will keep your advices in mind.
Better safe than sorry....
When the new baby had arrived I will make a report about it.