New Baby Redfoot Owner

Meet Vegeta! He/she is a normal redfoot I think. So far he has been doing nothing but burying lol.

I do have a question, how often should I sprinkle his food with calcium? Do I need to use any other supplements?

Attachments

• IMG_5531.JPG
    IMG_5531.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 30

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Meet Vegeta! He/she is a normal redfoot I think. So far he has been doing nothing but burying lol.

I do have a question, how often should I sprinkle his food with calcium? Do I need to use any other supplements?
A small pinch twice a week.
I offer dandilions often, they have calcium in them, also cuttlefish bone is always available for calcium. If you feed a mixed diet all vitamin needs should be met. At the bottom of this page is a link to Tortoise library. Have a read of that for redfoots. There's a good food list on it too.
That baby is gorgeous, love the legs.

I did read the tortoise library. It recommends calcium with D3 and also something like TNT?? The actual redfoot book I bought recommends calium with D3 and herptivit. Do I need the TNT or hertiuvite or will the calcium be enough? Right now I am feeding collards, turnip greens, mustard greens, squash and zucchini.

Also I want to make sure that the temperature and humidity is ok. Right now my temps are 85 under the basking bulb, 80 for the rest of the enclosure and my humidity is at 99%, is that too much humidity?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I did read the tortoise library. It recommends calcium with D3 and also something like TNT?? The actual redfoot book I bought recommends calium with D3 and herptivit. Do I need the TNT or hertiuvite or will the calcium be enough? Right now I am feeding collards, turnip greens, mustard greens, squash and zucchini.

Also I want to make sure that the temperature and humidity is ok. Right now my temps are 85 under the basking bulb, 80 for the rest of the enclosure and my humidity is at 99%, is that too much humidity?
Temp and humidity sound fine. Your humidity may drop over time, I wouldn't let it drop below 80%.
I don't use TNT or herptivit. I'll let others comment on that. Dont even know what TNT is. Lol.

Ok lol I will get some calcium and place a cuddlebone inside. I dont really know how my humidity got so high to begin with. I have coco coir as the substrate and the tank seems to be sucking all the water out of the water dish somehow.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Ok lol I will get some calcium and place a cuddlebone inside. I dont really know how my humidity got so high to begin with. I have coco coir as the substrate and the tank seems to be sucking all the water out of the water dish somehow.
Is your water dish near the heat source?

Actually no the water dish is the one in the middle with the rocks around it. Here is a picture of my setup and my thermometer/hydrometer. I have not sprayed my tank since setting it up either.

Attachments

• IMG_5532.JPG
    IMG_5532.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5533.JPG
    IMG_5533.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 22

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Actually no the water dish is the one in the middle with the rocks around it. Here is a picture of my setup and my thermometer/hydrometer. I have not sprayed my tank since setting it up either.
From what I can see it looks good, I would get some spaghnum moss and put it in a few areas so he can hide in it. Put moss boiling water before using it. Then when cool enough squeeze as much of the water out as you can.
Your humidity is high because your coir is freshly moistened. It will find a level over time. I've got 80/90% air humidity and in the moss is always 99% humidity. No area should be below 80f.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Think I can see some moss now. The arrows on my phone were covering it up. Lol.

Yes lol there is sphagnum moss in both hides. Right now I am having some issues with temperatures. I ordered a ceramic heat emitter and thermostat that should be here sometime today. I was using two heat bulbs on either side of the tank but then the temperatures were staying around 86 in the entire tank and I was afraid that that was too high so I turned off the bulb on the right side and now that side is at 79?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Yes lol there is sphagnum moss in both hides. Right now I am having some issues with temperatures. I ordered a ceramic heat emitter and thermostat that should be here sometime today. I was using two heat bulbs on either side of the tank but then the temperatures were staying around 86 in the entire tank and I was afraid that that was too high so I turned off the bulb on the right side and now that side is at 79?
What size is the enclosure? Length, width and height.

It is a 40 gal breeder tank. And I used the same insulation stuff that Pearly listed for his tank, it definitely keeps the humidity in but also is keeping the heat in.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I like your setup! Maybe I should add more moss too! I also like the hide that looks like it is made out of sticks, I see a lot of people using that but haven't found one yet. Do you like the coco coir? I bought a bag of organic cypress mulch from my local nursery and planned to put it in but my little redfoot likes to hide in the coco coir and Im afraid he wont be able to if I add the cypress.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I like your setup! Maybe I should add more moss too! I also like the hide that looks like it is made out of sticks, I see a lot of people using that but haven't found one yet. Do you like the coco coir? I bought a bag of organic cypress mulch from my local nursery and planned to put it in but my little redfoot likes to hide in the coco coir and Im afraid he wont be able to if I add the cypress.
Just put cyprus mulch in a certain area, gives him some different terrains and on the cyprus mulch he will have a drier area. I should have some really. I made the hide out of sticks. Get a load of sticks, drill a hole in each end of the(not on the end), through the side, then thread some wire through the holes so you can manipulate the shape.( I used cheap coat hanger wire).