New baby Russian tortoise

Milinda

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, California
Hi everyone, I just adopted my new little baby from a man who had both parents and kept them all outdoors. She is used to being in a very sunny enclosure with three other siblings. I say this because I wanted to keep her indoors until she got a little bigger. She is two years old and about three to four inches across. I bought a large cement mixing tub, a 60 watt heat lamp, UVB lamp, and other accessories. My question is will the heat lamp be enough to keep her warm, as it only covers part of the cement tray? Same with the UVB light. The tub seems to big compared to the tortoise, and I am afraid she is not getting enough heat during the day. Also, she is spending most of her time under the substrate. She did eat today and yesterday, so I do think she is ok, but I guess she is shy. I also gave her a soak yesterday and she drank some of the water. Could someone please advise me on the lighting? I live in Southern California. Do people keep their tortoises outside during the winter here, and do they hibernate? Thanks.

brenner knowled

Oh yes it would be fine with a uvb light but I would recamend getting a heat lamp to and its fine if they go under ground they will always do that all of them do that and they do hibernate but I think u should bring it in during the winter I'm mean how would u feel to be out side practly naked but other than that u are doing pretty good if eny questions just ask eny time I will probably know ur questions thank u for asking its good to know that people really do care a lot for there pets well hope every thing works out have a great night

Milinda

Los Angeles, California
Hi thanks so much for your reply. I do have the heat lamp but I am afraid it does not give her enough heat if she is on the opposite side of the tray. I am not sure how much area if the tray it is supposed to cover. Any suggestions?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In addition to that one read this one too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Only your thermometer can answer your question. What is the temperature in your basking area?

Ideally they should have an outdoor and an indoor enclosure. Use the indoor one for nights and bad weather, and use the outdoor one for nice days.

Some people hibernate them indoors under control, some people leave them outside to fend for themselves, and some people keep them up and warm all winter with no hibernation. Everyone has their preference.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Milinda welcome to the TFO from AZ . If you haven't had the little guy a year yet I would keep it in for the winter . Cause you can loose the tort it needs to build up fat , if it's been sick it will not have enough fat . But if next year nothing goes wroug and you have feed it fora year . Then do what you want . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Milinda

Los Angeles, California
In addition to that one read this one too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Only your thermometer can answer your question. What is the temperature in your basking area?

Ideally they should have an outdoor and an indoor enclosure. Use the indoor one for nights and bad weather, and use the outdoor one for nice days.

Some people hibernate them indoors under control, some people leave them outside to fend for themselves, and some people keep them up and warm all winter with no hibernation. Everyone has their preference.
Thanks so much Tom! I know you live in So Cal like me, so you know exactly what to do with our weather. I put it outside this morning, and it ate and walked around. I am thinking that it just need more heat than I had. I am going to leave it outside today (with protection) and buy a probe thermometer like you suggested to test the basking area. Is it ok to keep her inside at night without any lighting if the temp is around 73 degrees? My guess is that it's ok. I saw the plastic baby pools that you recommended for outside, and I love this idea, so I'll be getting her one of those. I like the idea of keeping her indoors when I can't watch her, and putting her outside when I can keep an eye on her. I don't know why, but this has really made me feel nervous. She is so little, and I am afraid that I will kill her if the temperature is not right. Thanks again!

Milinda

Los Angeles, California
Hello Milinda welcome to the TFO from AZ . If you haven't had the little guy a year yet I would keep it in for the winter . Cause you can loose the tort it needs to build up fat , if it's been sick it will not have enough fat . But if next year nothing goes wroug and you have feed it fora year . Then do what you want . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum
thanks so much for your reply! That is a great idea, and it would make me feel better, as she is so small right now. Take care!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Room temp at night is fine. 73 is actually on the warm side, but totally fine.

Kiddie pools work, but make sure there is lots of shade, and I like to provide a little buried humid hideaway too. Check those temps early and often. Its sooooo hot right now, even with this unusual overcast.

I'm up in Santa Clarita. What general area are you in?

Milinda

Los Angeles, California
Room temp at night is fine. 73 is actually on the warm side, but totally fine.

Kiddie pools work, but make sure there is lots of shade, and I like to provide a little buried humid hideaway too. Check those temps early and often. Its sooooo hot right now, even with this unusual overcast.

I'm up in Santa Clarita. What general area are you in?
Thanks so much for your suggestions, Tom. What is the ideal temp for the tort? Is it better to bring her indoors or keep her outside? I think indoors is probably best, as we have raccoons and opossums in the neighborhood. I live in Encino, not too far from you. My ex used to live in Santa Clarita near Cal Arts. We are currently looking for a new house and hopefully found one in West Hills. It gets really hot here in the Valley.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I prefer outdoors during the day and indoors at night. Russians can tolerate all sorts of night temps. It is generally agreed that they do best with a drop in night temps. So if its a hot day, dropping to 73 is fine. If it were only 75-80 outside, dropping a little lower might be better. Some say 55 is fine. Others prefer 65. Their adaptability is one of the things that make Russians so great. I think they can thrive with a wide variety of temps.

Milinda

Los Angeles, California
I prefer outdoors during the day and indoors at night. Russians can tolerate all sorts of night temps. It is generally agreed that they do best with a drop in night temps. So if its a hot day, dropping to 73 is fine. If it were only 75-80 outside, dropping a little lower might be better. Some say 55 is fine. Others prefer 65. Their adaptability is one of the things that make Russians so great. I think they can thrive with a wide variety of temps.
Thank you so very much for your help Tom! I went to a specialty reptile store yesterday and bought the correct basking bulb, so will set it up and check the temperature. I have a much better idea how that all works now and feel much more confident. I really appreciate everyone's support.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What did they sell you? Pet stores are infamous for bad advice. I get my basking bulbs from the hardware store. Mainly I just want to be sure they didn't sell you a coil type UV bulb. Those can sometimes damage reptile eyes.

Milinda

Los Angeles, California
What did they sell you? Pet stores are infamous for bad advice. I get my basking bulbs from the hardware store. Mainly I just want to be sure they didn't sell you a coil type UV bulb. Those can sometimes damage reptile eyes.
Wow! I am so glad you mentioned that, because Petco did sell me the coil UVB bulb, which I was going to keep. I will take it back tomorrow. Hopefully it won't hurt the tortoise today, because I am at work. Which kind are the best? The reptile store recommended this type that looked like a loop. They gave me a 100 watt basking bulb for the heating. Is that ok? I do have a stand that I can move up and down to get the right temperature.

Milinda

Los Angeles, California
Wow! I am so glad you mentioned that, because Petco did sell me the coil UVB bulb, which I was going to keep. I will take it back tomorrow. Hopefully it won't hurt the tortoise today, because I am at work. Which kind are the best? The reptile store recommended this type that looked like a loop. They gave me a 100 watt basking bulb for the heating. Is that ok? I do have a stand that I can move up and down to get the right temperature.
I didn't even know you could buy basking bulbs from the hardware store. What type do you recommend?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It CAN hurt them in one day. Can you call someone to go turn the coil bulb off immediately? Maybe go on your lunch break?

The 100 watt bulb is probably fine, but you need to check and adjust the temperature if needed. You might need a lower wattage bulb, or you might need to raise or lower the fixture, or you could use a rheostat to adjust it down if its too hot.

For UV, it is best to use real sunshine. Just an hour a few times a week is enough. If this is not an option then long florescent tubes are okay, but have to be mounted at the correct height. The easiest and best solution for you is probably a mercury vapor bulb like the Powersun. This will give you heat, light and UV all in one. Set it on a timer. Set the height for the right temperature and you will be all set. I recommend getting at least two of them so you have a back up if it burns out.

Personally, I buy 65 watt flood bulb value packs from the hardware store. I set the fixture height to get the right basking temp, and I put my babies outside for sunshine as often as I can.

Milinda

Los Angeles, California
It CAN hurt them in one day. Can you call someone to go turn the coil bulb off immediately? Maybe go on your lunch break?

The 100 watt bulb is probably fine, but you need to check and adjust the temperature if needed. You might need a lower wattage bulb, or you might need to raise or lower the fixture, or you could use a rheostat to adjust it down if its too hot.

For UV, it is best to use real sunshine. Just an hour a few times a week is enough. If this is not an option then long florescent tubes are okay, but have to be mounted at the correct height. The easiest and best solution for you is probably a mercury vapor bulb like the Powersun. This will give you heat, light and UV all in one. Set it on a timer. Set the height for the right temperature and you will be all set. I recommend getting at least two of them so you have a back up if it burns out.

Personally, I buy 65 watt flood bulb value packs from the hardware store. I set the fixture height to get the right basking temp, and I put my babies outside for sunshine as often as I can.

Hi, I can run over during lunch and take it out. Thanks for the advice! You are probably right that the mercury vapor bulb is probably the best option for us. It won't hut the tortoise if I use that and take it outside, will it? It's not too much UV with that arrangement? I am guessing it is probably ok. That way, if it gets cold during the winter, the tortoise will still have the UVB. Thanks so much.

Milinda

Los Angeles, California
AL
Hi, I can run over during lunch and take it out. Thanks for the advice! You are probably right that the mercury vapor bulb is probably the best option for us. It won't hut the tortoise if I use that and take it outside, will it? It's not too much UV with that arrangement? I am guessing it is probably ok. That way, if it gets cold during the winter, the tortoise will still have the UVB. Thanks so much.

Also, one more question. If the tortoise is buried underground, then the UVB doesn't reach it, right?