New baby Sullivan

Destben

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Hi guys I finally joined the sulcata movement. I have him in a temporary tank with all the bells and whistles. But I got him knowing he was in poor shape he may develop an RI due to the breeder keeping him severely cold and wet at the expo today. So far he is just lethargicIMG_0478.jpgIMG_0479.jpg

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
try warming him up asap and soaking him, is he eating?

Destben

Kansas
try warming him up asap and soaking him, is he eating?

Already done he has been warmed and soaked. He will be going to vet preferably tomorrow and he is currently basking. Not eating or opening his eyes tho. But moving occasionally and breathing.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Why so quick to the vet? Nice soakings, proper high temps.... and. Some TLC will go a long way. Make sure there is a nice cozy warm dark hide...so he can feel safe, secure, warm...

Good luck!

Destben

Kansas
Why so quick to the vet? Nice soakings, proper high temps.... and. Some TLC will go a long way. Make sure there is a nice cozy warm dark hide...so he can feel safe, secure, warm...

Good luck!

I’m hoping he perks up before then. But I usually take my animals for check ups when I get them. I’m really hoping he gets better before then.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Raise the temp to no lower then 85 all over day and night. Basking still 95-100.
I wouldn't rush to a vet just yet either. More harm then good could be done.
Do the raised temp, maybe even baby food carrot and piedialyte in the warm soaks and give it a week. Unless things get worse.

Destben

Kansas
Raise the temp to no lower then 85 all over day and night. Basking still 95-100.
I wouldn't rush to a vet just yet either. More harm then good could be done.
Do the raised temp, maybe even baby food carrot and piedialyte in the warm soaks and give it a week. Unless things get worse.

My real worry is that he isn’t opening his eyes. I have the enclosure at that right now temp wise because I dealt with an RI with Torterra so just in case I made sure it was warmer.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do you know if the breeder used the coil type bulbs? For the breeder to even sell a baby with closed eyes and too cold, tells me he's not a good breeder, which tells me he probably uses the cheaper coil bulbs.
I understand your concerns. It scares me if your vet doesn't really know much about tortoises.
If the closed eyes is due to the bulb, having him out from it will change things quickly. The carrot baby food soaks will also help the eyes. Its main reason for the carrot soaks is for closed swollen eyes.
Do the carrot soaks and you got the temp up, and give it a couple days and see if it improves.

Destben

Kansas
Do you know if the breeder used the coil type bulbs? For the breeder to even sell a baby with closed eyes and too cold, tells me he's not a good breeder, which tells me he probably uses the cheaper coil bulbs.
I understand your concerns. It scares me if your vet doesn't really know much about tortoises.
If the closed eyes is due to the bulb, having him out from it will change things quickly. The carrot baby food soaks will also help the eyes. Its main reason for the carrot soaks is for closed swollen eyes.
Do the carrot soaks and you got the temp up, and give it a couple days and see if it improves.

Yeah he definitely didn’t have that much interest in the little guys. He kept them moist but no source of warmth at the expo and the room was about 70 and they were definitely colder then that. I was thinking he probably used coil bulbs too but I’m not sure. I will carrot soak tomorrow. I soaked him today and he wouldn’t keep his head up luckily there was a spot in the Tupperware that didn’t have water in it and I kept his head there so he didn’t drown.

Destben

Kansas
Yeah he definitely didn’t have that much interest in the little guys. He kept them moist but no source of warmth at the expo and the room was about 70 and they were definitely colder then that. I was thinking he probably used coil bulbs too but I’m not sure. I will carrot soak tomorrow. I soaked him today and he wouldn’t keep his head up luckily there was a spot in the Tupperware that didn’t have water in it and I kept his head there so he didn’t drown.

Also his siblings were active and had their eyes open so I wasn’t as worried about them.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
yeah, keep us posted. IF the carrot mixture doesn't help open his eyes, take a soft cloth and moisten it and gently rub the eyes and see if that helps. Just gently though.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Good luck with your new tort. That's why I stay away from shows and pet stores. I know I would find one to rescue. I am trying to stay at 1 tort. But something tells me there will be more.