New baby Sullivan

Destben

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Update. He made it through the night and was a little more active today. It was along night for me though. I ended moving him into Torterra’s enclosure in a quarantine bin so that he would be more stable temp wise and he is still there now because I don’t think fluctuations would do him any good. He seemed to drink a little during a short soak this morning. He for sure at this point has an RI and is going to the vet at lunch to hopefully get started on his shots. The vet is very knowledgeable and Seems up to date on his info and has seen both of my other torts

Destben

Kansas
Update. He made it through the night and was a little more active today. It was along night for me though. I ended moving him into Torterra’s enclosure in a quarantine bin so that he would be more stable temp wise and he is still there now because I don’t think fluctuations would do him any good. He seemed to drink a little during a short soak this morning. He for sure at this point has an RI and is going to the vet at lunch to hopefully get started on his shots. The vet is very knowledgeable and Seems up to date on his info and has seen both of my other torts

IMG_0491.jpg

Melis

Maryland
This made me curious. Can anything with torts, or reptiles in general, be transmitted through the air? Or is everything transmitted through surfaces or contact?

Ps. What a great thing you are doing for this little guy :)

Bee62

Germany
This baby is extremly thin ! You can see this by his thin legs.
When the baby is eating now and a little bit more active do not carry this baby to a VET and let him give antibiotic shots. The antibiotics will make stop the baby eating and it may starve and die.
I would do many long warm soaks a day and warm temps day and night. Offering food and see if the baby is eating. When he eats it will be okay.
But this only my opinion and the way I would do things with this weak baby tort.

Destben

Kansas
This baby is extremly thin ! You can see this by his thin legs.
When the baby is eating now and a little bit more active do not carry this baby to a VET and let him give antibiotic shots. The antibiotics will make stop the baby eating and it may starve and die.
I would do many long warm soaks a day and warm temps day and night. Offering food and see if the baby is eating. When he eats it will be okay.
But this only my opinion and the way I would do things with this weak baby tort.

I just got back from the vet and he gave him antibiotics and fluids because he was severely dehydrated. It’s the same vet and the same type of antibiotics they gave Torterra before and I had no issues with her. Only time will tell though he was not doing well with soaks at all so I’m hoping this helps. He actually perked up a bit and was moving around. I have him back in his quarantine bin now. I will try and get him to eat again tonight.

Destben

Kansas
I just got back from the vet and he gave him antibiotics and fluids because he was severely dehydrated. It’s the same vet and the same type of antibiotics they gave Torterra before and I had no issues with her. Only time will tell though he was not doing well with soaks at all so I’m hoping this helps. He actually perked up a bit and was moving around. I have him back in his quarantine bin now. I will try and get him to eat again tonight.

Also he was not eating as it is so there was nothing to lose.

Destben

Kansas
This made me curious. Can anything with torts, or reptiles in general, be transmitted through the air? Or is everything transmitted through surfaces or contact?

Ps. What a great thing you are doing for this little guy :)
im hoping surface only lol

Destben

Kansas
Update. There isn’t to much of a change. He is getting more active but his eyes are still closed and still no appetite. I’m going to try focusing on getting him to open his eyes. I think once they are open he will be more willing to eat.

Destben

Kansas
Ok guys opinions on this... would it be beneficial to get a reptile incubator for this hatchling? I know its not its purpose but would something controlled like that help this guy out or would it be detrimental. I'm not worried about money so look beyond that reasoning please.

Bee62

Germany
Ok guys opinions on this... would it be beneficial to get a reptile incubator for this hatchling? I know its not its purpose but would something controlled like that help this guy out or would it be detrimental. I'm not worried about money so look beyond that reasoning please.
What this baby now needs is warmth and humidity. I would put him in shallow water under a heat lamp ( a bulb that produces UVB too ). Make sure that the water stays warm and the tortoise gets not too hot from the heat lamp. This is the only way you can help him. You can leave him in the water the whole day long with breaks when you try to feed him.
Why do I think that this way could help ? I have a young sulcata tortoise that came already pyramided to me. She was severe dehydrated. I gave her a shallow water dish under a heat lamp and she was sitting in the warm water for hours every day. I was not sure if she could recover be she did.
Today she is healthy and growing well. New shell is growing smooth.
The warm water and the warm light saved her life. I would try this with your baby too.

Destben

Kansas
What this baby now needs is warmth and humidity. I would put him in shallow water under a heat lamp ( a bulb that produces UVB too ). Make sure that the water stays warm and the tortoise gets not too hot from the heat lamp. This is the only way you can help him. You can leave him in the water the whole day long with breaks when you try to feed him.
Why do I think that this way could help ? I have a young sulcata tortoise that came already pyramided to me. She was severe dehydrated. I gave her a shallow water dish under a heat lamp and she was sitting in the warm water for hours every day. I was not sure if she could recover be she did.
The warm water and the warm light saved her life. I would try this with your baby too.

I might try that with a wet paper towel only because he doesn’t hold his head up for to long and I would be to scared that he would drown.

Bee62

Germany
I might try that with a wet paper towel only because he doesn’t hold his head up for to long and I would be to scared that he would drown.
Yeah, I see that is a problem. The baby is really weak. I hope you can save him or her. Good luck. My fingers are crossed for the little one.
Try the wet towel paper please.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Update. There isn’t to much of a change. He is getting more active but his eyes are still closed and still no appetite. I’m going to try focusing on getting him to open his eyes. I think once they are open he will be more willing to eat.
Sounds like you are covering all the bases. I will be praying for the little one

Destben

Kansas
IMG_0501.jpgIMG_0502.jpg
IMG_0506.jpg
So I just gave him a carrot soak and then put him back into his quarantine bin. Torterra noticed him for the first time and then just walked away. I hope I’m not stressing her out with him in there. He wants to live and is trying I’m hoping he will continue to get better. also no weight loss as of yet but its hard to tell for sure because he got fluids at the vet yesterday.

Last edited:

Destben

Kansas

IMG_0513.jpgIMG_0512.jpg
Trying the paper towel version out