new Bell's hingeback...HELP please

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwata1223

5 Year Member
I just went to a reptile show on Sunday and picked up a Bell's Hingeback. For some reason I liked the one I got...I was just sort of drawn to him. I got him home and he hadn't really moved the whole way. I tried to give him food and water and he wouldn't take anything. He just stayed in his shell. I thought I would just leave him alone because I know this can be a shy breed. Yesterday when I picked him up I realized he was missing almost all of his claws! He still hadn't eaten or drank anything..or even moved for that matter. This was last night. I put him into a shallow tup of water and he really seemed to appreciate this He poked his nose out just a little and was drinking a lot if the water. I left him in their for about a half hour. He still wasn't eating or coming out of his shell. I also noticed that he only has about four claws left on his feet and one of them is about to fall off. I'm new to tortoises and I have only been researching them for a year or so and I haven't come across anything that might help me figure out what is wrong with him. Please if you know anything I can do please let me know. Thanks

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Do you have the vendors name or a contact? Hingebacks can stress very easily and this one sounds like a recently imported wild caught. Keep it warm and hydrated, in dim light, and keep offering food (espically live worms and soft fruit). Try to contact the vendor.

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
Hi kawata;
Welcome!
There are some REAL Hingeback people her that might be able to give insight.
I myself have in the past kept a few Hingeback torts although only a few years at most.
I have though, Seen thousands of new imports in the past & the multitude of problems that come with them.
1st, Do you know if yours is a long term captive animal or a "Fresh" or recent import?
I'm going to bet that it is most likely imported recently.

What I am about to say is not to scare or discourage, Its just things you should be aware of.

It is common for many HB's to arrive with foot infections (among other problems).

After capture the animal spends anywhere from days to months making its way to the exporter. They are kept in sacks, wooden crates or metal bins.
HB's try to "Dig in" or hide constantly. This digging can quite literally ware the feet off of them! I have seen more than I care to remember in this condition, Another thing is rat bites!
Any injury that breaks the skin while in transit will often become infected. If left untreated, the outcome is not pretty.

My suggestion is to post some photo's of your tortoise, From all angles & get good shots of the feet.
This will help with identifying the problem(s).
Try to get Vet appointment & a fresh fecal sample before you go. This has nothing to do with the feet!
Also a few things that will help with infections & injuries of all sorts, That you should keep on hand: Betadine & Chlorhexidine Solution.
This might come in handy.
http://www.revivalanimal.com/store/...trk=gdfV2457_a_7c543_a_7c2273_a_7c27180_d_801

Post the photo's, Call the Vet & get the stuff!

If your patient & attentive, Your HB could well be with you for many years.

Tom McLellan

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum :)

Sorry to hear your new Hingeback isn't doing well. Seeing as your in the US and your hingeback seems to be a recent import it can't be a Bell's hingeback. Like Tom said it would help to post pictures of the tortoise and the spots you think aren't right. Most likely your hingeback is a Home's hingeback, which has different needs from a Bell's hingeback.
Once we have pictures of your animal, we will need to know exactly how you have him/her set-up.
Also like Tom said, it's time to book a vet visit with a vet that has dealt with tortoises. Try to get a poo sample before the visit (put it in the fridge in a plastic bag after you get a sample). You will be having them test for parasites in the sample.

Danny

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
When I got my second Home's hingeback 7 years ago he was in pretty rough shape, though no external damage that I could see. He wouldn't eat for 4 months... I think I kept him alive adding electrolytes and liquid vitamins to his water and placing him in the dish; he could have just been a tough critter and would have lasted without it. He was very inactive and had a habit of not leaving the dish, so I checked him frequently for soft spots in the shell (shell rot) and took him out to dry occasionally. I'm not sure how the foot damage would affect the safety of soaking him for long periods. I have been advised that betadine is harsh stuff and inhibits growth, but I would want to get that foot disinfected. Just limit your use of the betadine.

Also, "warm" for a hingeback is mid 80s F. They do really respond well to misting and earthworms.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I agree that we need to see pictures in order to help your tortoise. Hingeback's can be tough to start, but it is very rewarding once they settle in.

Temps should be 72* on the cold side and 82-3* on the warm side. I use a red 250 watt bulb like they use for chicks, because with their big eyes Hingebacks do not like a lot of bright light. If it is a Home's or a Serrated, which is much more likely than a Bell's, they need a very humid environment and constant access to water.

I have found that new imports respond well to portabella mushrooms, tango, raddichio and red leaf romaine, along with butternut squash.

tortoiseguy65

5 Year Member
Illinois
As others have said, pictures will help. It could be Kinixys belliana nogueyi or Kinixys belliana spekii. They are technically subspecies of belliana, depending upon who you talk to.:) Both have been imported in recent years, with spekii the most recent. K.b.nogueyi have 4 toes on the front feet while spekii have 5. Patterns of both can be similar. I have seen several K.b.nogueyi with missing toes.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What kind of substrate do you have him in? Hides? Are you keeping him a quiet location or one with lots of foot traffic, noise, and lots of sneaking peaks? Temps have all ready been mentioned. How about lights (what do you have on? how strong? how long?)

My Bells prefer worms, mushrooms, melons, and papaya. Place the food right next to his hide, that tends to help with shy ones.

Do you have a dish in with him so he can soak whenever he wants to?

Status
Not open for further replies.