New Boxie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
This is the girl that I found posted on Hoobly as a "Male Western 2 year old Box turtle." She is in fact a female Three Toed.

Just got her about an hour ago. I had invited the owner to come to my house and check things out since she was local (I always give that option, that way they know their pet will be taken care of.) She walked in the door and said, "Woooooow...." LOL. She was impressed with my setups, which made me feel great, and ended up waiving the adoption fee completely.

The turtle was puchased from a petshop in Saginaw, Michigan and the incorrect information that the owners had came from the shop. We spent some time chatting about Bearded Dragons and turtles and things, she was a very nice lady.

Anyway, here she is.

KristinasPictures41327.jpg

KristinasPictures41325.jpg

My little male, Mikhail, being shy.

KristinasPictures41324.jpg

Mikka being nosy (probably hoping for worms, lol.)

KristinasPictures41323.jpg

Mikka and the new girl.

KristinasPictures41322.jpg

KristinasPictures41321.jpg

And for the heck of it, my two babies.

KristinasPictures41297.jpg

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Kristina, I'm so glad you got that poor old gal! How happy she's going to be now......but I always wonder what stories they can tell.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Thanks guys :)

Marta, I don't have one at the moment, but it is pretty basic - wood walls, shower curtain liner to protect the floor, with a hibiscus in a pot and leaf litter for substrate. They have a couple of half logs as hides and flower pot saucers for food and water dishes.

This is their summer time enclosure -

KristinasPictures3532.jpg

M

Maggie Cummings

Kristina, she's pretty good looking for coming from a suspect background, every one I get like that is bumpy and misshapen. Are you going to quarantine her? I too, would be interested in seeing your indoor set ups. You outdoor ones are beautiful but I think it would be good for us to see how you're keeping your turtle and tortoises indoors.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Sure, I can snap some pics tonight or tomorrow and post them.

I am not quarantining her, because I ended up knowing the lady that she came from, and I believe her when she told me she had her for a year, and she has been in contact with no other chelonians or reptiles in that time frame. If I did not know where she came from, then yes I would quarantine for a minimum of two months. She will however be tested for parasites, it is time to have them all done again anyway.

My indoor set ups are nothing like my outdoor ones. It just hasn't been possible for me to be that elaborate. They are basic tort-table set ups, just big wooden boxes with cypress mulch substrate, leaf litter, half log hides and food/water dishes. I have three boxes for the Redfoots and Hingebacks, and they are sort of "stacked," like big drawers. They are on runners and I can pull them out to access them, although I have to get on a ladder to get to the Hingebacks, lol. Half of the Hingebacks are in a big stock tank. My juvenile Redfoot is in a 40 gal breeder, my Russians have a 4' X 8' table. Both my Greek baby and Cherryhead are in planted 20 gallon vivariums, as are the baby Boxies.

So, that gives you an idea, but I will post some pictures anyway in the next couple of days.

M

Maggie Cummings

What ever happened to those 2 Sulcata you adopted just after you joined the forum?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I adopted them to a guy downstate that had more indoor room for them. Ella is now about 19", and Gwen is 16". They are doing and look really good.

Actually I had them prior to joining. I never intended to keep them, I just wanted to get them out of their current situation and get them in better health.

Status
Not open for further replies.