new cherry head owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigwhitemonster

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
new york
hello i just got my cherry head about 4 days ago and i am a bit worried. im not sure how often they are supposed to like poop and pee or what their poop looks like. he is a year and 3 months old i soak him for 20 minutes almost everyday so far. i feed him once a day( im not sure how often to feed either) he has peed on me so i know he does that but i have found no droppings. im using cypress mulch i have a uvb light and a heat lamp at the other end. and i have a drinking and bathing area in the cooler end of the tank. the temp on the warm side is about 85-90 and 65 percent humid and the other side is about 70-80 witht about the same humidity. and i have the hide on the warm end. can u help me out with my concern and also help me with what im doing right and or wrong and stuff im not doing and should??

thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Bigwhitemonster: Welcome to the forum. You'll find quite a few G. carbonaria keepers here, and we're happy you've found us!

Yvonne

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Hi and welcome. My Cherry Head is 14 months old. He may be eating his poop. Mine does.
scan0009-4.jpg

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
bigwhitemonster, welcome to the forum. I agree with Itort (Larry). Check out the links he gave you you can't go wrong using the sites suggestions. And yes they are noted for eating there own poo.

bigwhitemonster

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
new york
i have another question for u guys. what would cause inactivity?? all my guy does is chill in his hide. its makin me nervous. is there something that would cause this

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
bigwhitemonster said:
i have another question for u guys. what would cause inactivity?? all my guy does is chill in his hide. its makin me nervous. is there something that would cause this

Your little friend is probably just adjusting to the change. Although we have the best of intentions and try to set our torts up to be in a happy paradise, the truth is, a transition to a new home is stressful for the tort (our reptile vet says that captive reptiles are ALWAYS under a certain amount of stress from being in a non-natural environment). Moving the stuff around in the cage also causes stress for them. Just keep with your routine, try to handle your little friend less than you might be inclined in these early days, and let the tort settle in. As long as you see eating, pooping/peeing, your tort is probably fine. :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Your cherry head is the same age as mine. All Pio does is come out in the AM and eat, walk around a bit, drink and go back into his hide. He comes back out in the late afternoon, does the same thing...maybe stays out a little longer in the afternoon.....then goes into his hide and stays there until the next AM. He did the same thing when he was outside for the summer. He is my first tortoise, so I don't know about adults, but.........IMO, my boxies are a lot more interesting and active. My water turtles are a lot more work, but have much more personalities and are much more active.

bigwhitemonster

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
new york
well i was wondering also how can i estimate my guys age because i dont think he is that young

turtletary

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
bigwhitemonster said:
well i was wondering also how can i estimate my guys age because i dont think he is that young

Since we don't know how he was cared for before you got him.. I can only guage by how mine grow: 6 months about 3".. 1 year 4".. 2 years upwards of 5".. 3 years over 6".. and then their growth slows down from there on.

Measure like so.. shown 3 1/4" -

ASCL-1.jpg

NERD

Status
Not open for further replies.