Cherry Head & Horsefield?

Status
Not open for further replies.

octalfox

5 Year Member
Can a 3yr old horsefield be temporarily housed with a 8month old Cherry head Red foot?

For around 2 weeks? as we have orderd a luxury tortoise table and it won't be made/sent till then... and the person im buying from is going away next week so he wants to bring the tortie over this week?

Please, if theres any good solid advice im all ears ^^ thanks.

abclements

5 Year Member
I would not house them together... the require extremely different environments for both temp and humidity. They also don't live in the same areas in the world, so disease transfer is a problem. Russians are extremely territorial and could end up injuring you cherry even if he is the newbie. So my answer is no, that would be a very bad idea.

But my suggestion would be this. Go to home depot, buy one of those 54 gallon Rubbermaid totes and set up a temporary enclosure for the new Russian. All they need for your short 2 week temp enclosure is a heat lamp of sorts to keep the enclosure warm and the basking spot up to temps, substrate, a clay pot he can hide in and a clay saucer for a water dish. These all will cost you maybe 40 bucks give or take and I think it is well worth the peace of mind! Plus you can use all of this in the new enclosure that's coming! Hope this helps!

Sent from my LG-P769 using TortForum mobile app

Oh and a couple hours of outdoor time over the couple weeks wouldn't hurt since cheap heat lights don't give off uvb

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
1. New tortoises should be kept entirely separately in quarantine for at least 6 months. This is to prevent either from making the other sick.
2. Different species carry and tolerate different pathogens, so what one tolerates could kill the other.
3. The two species have different requirements in terms of how they should be kept.
4. Your resident tort will not take kindly to a newcomer and will more than likely bully it badly.

For the sake of both torts, they must be kept separately

abclements

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Cherry Head & Horsefield?

octalfox said:
brilliant idea thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're welcome! I'm a college student so I try to think as inexpensive as possible while till trying to keep my husbandry at its best lol

Status
Not open for further replies.