Buying cherry head..

janebartley

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle Upon Tyne
So I’ve been looking for a redfoot cherry head to buy- I’ve found a ‘breeder’ who lives a few hours away.. so not easy for me to go see in person, however, he has sent me a few pictures and all looks well.. BUT he said the baby hatched this year, 12 weeks old- then when I asked how big the tort is, he told me 4 inches, this isn’t right is it?

Don’t want to jump into anything I’m not 100% confident with..

wccmog10

Georgia
Is it possible the breeder is just saying “4 inches”? Because of the 4 inch rule.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Is it possible the breeder is just saying “4 inches”? Because of the 4 inch rule.
The 4" rule only applies in the United States. Be careful, unfortunately there are some scams involving tortoises. Ask the breeder for a picture of the tortoise with a piece of paper with the date on it next to it in the picture. If it's a scammer they won't respond back. If they can send one then atleast you know they have the tortoise.

wccmog10

Georgia
I missed the fact that this was not a United States breeder and buyer. Whoops.

reed123

Longview, TX
The 4" rule only applies in the United States. Be careful, unfortunately there are some scams involving tortoises. Ask the breeder for a picture of the tortoise with a piece of paper with the date on it next to it in the picture. If it's a scammer they won't respond back. If they can send one then atleast you know they have the tortoise.
Hello I am new here. What is the 4" rule?

wccmog10

Georgia
Someone can correct me if I am wrong- but it basically says you are not allowed to sell turtles and tortoises that are smaller than 4 inches as pets. Turtles under 4 inches are for “scientific study only.”

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Someone can correct me if I am wrong- but it basically says you are not allowed to sell turtles and tortoises that are smaller than 4 inches as pets. Turtles under 4 inches are for “scientific study only.”

Yes...thats what i saw too..

• The sale or distribution of turtles with a carapace length of fewer than 4 inches has been banned in the US since 1975 (Title 21 CFR 1240.62). The ban was brought into effect under the Public Health Services Act by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to address the problem of Salmonellainfections in children. Before the ban, there were an estimated 250,000 cases of Salmonellosis in children and infants that were associated with pet turtles in the US.
  • Source: https://www.thesprucepets.com/illegal-sale-of-turtle-hatchlings-in-united-states-1239414

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Redfoot when they hatch are the diameter of an American 50 cent coin. (Even smaller) But some grow very fast.
At 12 weeks, Id still expect one to be much smaller than 4", but let's assume he is just guessing about the actual size.
This guy is thought to be 5 months.
He is little more than 4 inches.

Attachments

• 20180805_094829.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 31

reed123

Longview, TX
Thanks for the reply. The redfoot I just bought was born 7/14/2018 and I have not received him. Tomorrow. So he could be less then 4" so if so I guess I just got took.

janebartley

Newcastle Upon Tyne
thanks for the replies! Yeah I’m in uk so don’t have the 4” rule.. when I asked could he send some photos of the tortoise, he only sent one photo, feels like pulling teeth trying to get anything out of him. On the photo the tort looked very small but now he’s saying 4 inches it could very well be an old photo..

I don’t think I’m going to go for it.. something just doesn’t seem right to me and -if- he is lying about the age then that just tells me he’s not to be trusted and may not have the torts best interest/ requirements in mind.

Just disheartened as I never see cherry heads for sale in the uk unless their grown

wccmog10

Georgia
That is a bummer. But you have to trust your gut. I hope you find one that works out. Keep looking and don’t give up- tortoises are worth it.

janebartley

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Sorry for late reply! Well I’ve looked all over the place, posted adds.. and so far I have only found 2 Redfoot breeders in uk! Quite a few adult torts for sale on pets for homes but not many breeders about at all!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
thanks for the replies! Yeah I’m in uk so don’t have the 4” rule.. when I asked could he send some photos of the tortoise, he only sent one photo, feels like pulling teeth trying to get anything out of him. On the photo the tort looked very small but now he’s saying 4 inches it could very well be an old photo..

I don’t think I’m going to go for it.. something just doesn’t seem right to me and -if- he is lying about the age then that just tells me he’s not to be trusted and may not have the torts best interest/ requirements in mind.

Just disheartened as I never see cherry heads for sale in the uk unless their grown
Show me the photo please. My 4” are about a yr old.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Sorry for late reply! Well I’ve looked all over the place, posted adds.. and so far I have only found 2 Redfoot breeders in uk! Quite a few adult torts for sale on pets for homes but not many breeders about at all!
Pm me. I have loads of babies that need homes. I’m in Sheffield.