Cherry head feeding

cheesy77777

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hi everyone! I have had been feeding my cherry head dandelion greens, radicchio, baby spinach, and everything else he needs and he is enjoying it and growing. Although I am not sure what to feed him in regards to protein. Any advice?

daniellenc

Maryland
Mine loves boiled plain shrimp. All worms are great too! Also, shredded plain chicken, moistened cat food, roaches, and even mushrooms.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Mine loves boiled plain shrimp. All worms are great too! Also, shredded plain chicken, moistened cat food, roaches, and even mushrooms.
All of the above.
Redfoot can eat a HUGE assortment of foods, including fruit and flowers. More than any other species that I'm aware of.
Make sure to look over our Redfoot care threads.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi everyone! I have had been feeding my cherry head dandelion greens, radicchio, baby spinach, and everything else he needs and he is enjoying it and growing. Although I am not sure what to feed him in regards to protein. Any advice?

I offer animal protein every week. My Tucker LOVES his meat! Boiled of steamed shrimp is his favorite, but will also enjoy bits of fresh steak or fish when I cook and it looks delish I cut few small pieces off for my kitty boy and my torts. Just remember, no salt, pepper, spices. Your tort doesn’t need those.,Good cat or dog food is another option, eggs- mine are not too crazy about them but they have probably never been REALLY hungry bcs I feed them plenty of very good food. There is always some leftovers after their supper. Redfoots MUST have animal protein to be healthy. In the wild they will take care of their dietary needs but kept at home or even suburb garden like mine, they depend on us to provide for their needs, dietary, environmental and otherwise. I also supplement their fresh food with some formulated commercial tortoise diet. Like @ZEROPILOT said above, RFs eat HUGE assortment of different food items in the wild, and for us to keep them healthy we strive to mimic those conditions. There is a great website called Tortoise Library. Google it and check it out. It is a great source of info for the RF keepers (including long list of food items you can offer to your tort). I also used another site called the Turtletary (can also google this one), both are done by this Forum members and contain great info. 3 yrs ago (when my torts were tiny babies) those 2 sites and this Forum where my “tort bible”, kept my nose in them all the time and thank God I did, bcs my tors are today eating machine monsters[emoji6][emoji38]

Kevinrrussell

Michigan
I heard. No spinach ..I use mangoes...blueberries, apples, nectarines and melons...I pick plantains and Dandelions as well..summer in Michigan I have tons growing..I always check before I feed stan.lee a new food.. but mine loves croc chow and dandelions..run to it

cheesy77777

Michigan
I heard. No spinach ..I use mangoes...blueberries, apples, nectarines and melons...I pick plantains and Dandelions as well..summer in Michigan I have tons growing..I always check before I feed stan.lee a new food.. but mine loves croc chow and dandelions..run to it

So I could go out and pick dandelions and that would be ok? Because I have a TON growing as well.

Pearly

5 Year Member
So I could go out and pick dandelions and that would be ok? Because I have a TON growing as well.

As long as the lot they grow on hasn’t been treated with chemicals, or dogs treated with heartworm meds have not pooped on them, tbey should be fine. I live in subdivision where common grounds are kept by some company that sprays stuff so I never pick anything except from my own garden. My local Farmers Market and Whole Foods sell lots of great greens including dandelions, purslane, fresh edible flowers, and different kinds of mushrooms (other than the white or portabellas). Dandelion greens are available here year round.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Spinach wont make them ill if they get a few leaves in some sort of "spring mix" type bag. Just don't feed very much of it and don't feed it regularly.
During the summer, I ramp up my fruit feeding to over 70% due to the availability of free stuff.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Mine will devour earthworms, slugs, bugs, pretty much anything that moves.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Spinach wont make them ill if they get a few leaves in some sort of "spring mix" type bag. Just don't feed very much of it and don't feed it regularly.
During the summer, I ramp up my fruit feeding to over 70% due to the availability of free stuff.

I second that! They love fruit and in nature they find those fallen from the trees treats and/or snip berries of the bushes. When mine where little they didn’t like the greens, and I’d always use fruit to entice them

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
We're very fortunate because RF tortoises can safely eat a large variety of things.
It's very simple to find foods suitable for them just about any location in the country at any time.
At the food store or just growing wild.