New Desert Tortoise

Ciri

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson
I had a thought of something that might help in getting Desmond to eat. One of my box turtles wasn't eating when she was sick. She was getting treatments that probably killed her appetite. I boiled some squash and cooked fish – the smell wafted in to the dining room where she was and seemed to really pique her appetite. She ate really well that day. Obviously your fellow isn't going to be eating fish, however the smell of squash boiling, or some other suitable food, could improve his appetite. Perhaps that was a factor in him eating that squash you cooked for him not long ago. Hope things are continuing to improve with him.

dmarshall1991

He hasn't eaten since the day he took those few bites of squash. Still keeping up with soaks twice a day and offering him food several times daily. Have tried everything but I refuse to give up. Every now and then he will move a little bit but for the most part he's a stationary rock. Really worried about my little guy.

Ciri

5 Year Member
Tucson
that's great you're not giving up. I hope the weather which is starting to warm will prove helpful. I'm curious, what is your vet saying about this situation? It sure is a difficult one. You're very brave.

dmarshall1991

that's great you're not giving up. I hope the weather which is starting to warm will prove helpful. I'm curious, what is your vet saying about this situation? It sure is a difficult one. You're very brave.
Yea on those days that it was about 85 I took him outside and had him soaking in direct sunlight. Seemed to perk him up a little bit. The vet is saying there's really not much else I can do. We have tried everything. They keep hinting at maybe it's time to let him lose the fight and put him down but I'm not accepting that. He's still got a chance. He's a little fighter and I'm not going to give up on him like that. He's had such a tough life he deserves someone to have hope in him and keep trying. So we continue our struggle.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hooray! ! ! !

On the way to full health! ! !Best wishes to you and this torts! ! ! !

Ciri

5 Year Member
Tucson
good job! With things warming up it looks like you'll be in the clear pretty soon. So glad to hear the positive news.:):tort::)

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Amazing! Great to see some progress! Congrats on the new milestone!

Ciri

5 Year Member
Tucson
Congratulations! Great to see him eating!

dmarshall1991

Thanks everyone for all the advice and support with him ♡ i really appreciated it all. I've grown so attached to him after all the stuff I've had to do for him and all the countless hours bathing and going to the vet and trying to get him to eat. I can't imagine not having the goofy little crippled guy lol. So thank you all again. You helped me save his little life. Desmond says Thank you aswell