New Enclosure Finished!

George Sanders

Location (City and/or State)
South-East England.
Hi everyone,

So I posted a few days ago saying how I am in need of a lager indoor Viv for my male Leapord Brutus, and I'm pleased to say it's finished!

I still need to get some accessories in there for enrichment but the general build is complete. Here he is under his heat lamp :)

IMG_20190303_163524.jpg MVIMG_20190303_163642.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh my. . . that's really nice, but I'm sorry to say it's still way too small for a tortoise of that size. Tortoises need to walk in order to keep their digestive tracts in proper working order. Your new enclosure would be fine for a baby tortoise, but a tortoise of Brutus's size needs an area much, much bigger than that.

Also, the light is way too close to his shell. It's going to burn and kill the living tissue. It should be at least 12" away from the shell.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, and you've really done a great job on the enclosure build, but it's just not a good fit for Brutus.

George Sanders

South-East England.
Hi Yvonne,

Thank you for your points, very interesting :)

The pictures do make the enclosure look very small indeed! I can assure you it is much bigger in person as I had tips from a previous member :)

I did not know about the lamp issue though and will get that sorted now. Thank you!

S

SuIcata

Hi everyone,

So I posted a few days ago saying how I am in need of a lager indoor Viv for my male Leapord Brutus, and I'm pleased to say it's finished!

I still need to get some accessories in there for enrichment but the general build is complete. Here he is under his heat lamp :)

View attachment 266351 View attachment 266352
As Yvonne already mentioned ur enclosure is still WAY TOO SMALL and ur light WILL BURN UR TORTOISES SHELL...
I know u probably put a lot of effort in building this but this is not the proper way to house a tortoise.

Do u got uvb ?
Or do u put ur tortoise outside ?

Cheap idea: intex family pool, cover with foliage for humidity, get the right lights uvb and heat and make sure to keep the required distances check temperature

PLS PUT THAT LAMP OUT ASAP

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
what is the box made of. I like the sliding window design with the solid piece in the rub/ram zone!

George Sanders

South-East England.
To everyone who has commented, the lamp has now been adjusted and sits 12.5" above the top of his shell. And tomorrow I will extend the back and sides again to give him another few sq feet of space (It's getting late here otherwise I'd do it now) Also UVB wise he has a bulb Sulcata :)

And to blackdog 1714 it is made of good quality chipboard to prevent heat loss and prevent a humid environment.

Thanks for the pointers everyone!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
WHat kind of sealer did you use- becuase by you saying chip board you are referring to the US version of oriented strand board which is notoriuos for warpage after exposed to water. NOw if you got the marine grade you should be okay since you are not going for the closed chamber humidity of a baby. Just hate to see some hard work get messed with

George Sanders

South-East England.
WHat kind of sealer did you use- becuase by you saying chip board you are referring to the US version of oriented strand board which is notoriuos for warpage after exposed to water. NOw if you got the marine grade you should be okay since you are not going for the closed chamber humidity of a baby. Just hate to see some hard work get messed with
Unsure by your comment if you are US or UK based but it is commonly used for flooring in the UK. Yes I can warp if saturated but if for whatever reason water is spilled no damage will be done still as it is hight quality board.