New enclosure for Flash (WIP) - Photo Intensive

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Sierra Vista, AZ
I purchased two Zoo Med Tortoise Houses for my boxie, Flash. It has become a labor of love and frustration getting everything right.

I started on January 18, and still have not gotten past outgassing, I am currently scrubbing the inside with mild soap. Rise. Repeat.

Here are the photos I have so far:

My initial intent was to spray the bottom and hide with black and use a clear sealant on everything else. The clear sealant dried yellowish, so I scrapped that idea and decided to paint everything inside black.

DSC_0210.JPG

DSC_0212.JPG

DSC_0224.JPG

Let the scrubbing commence.

DSC_0304.JPG

DSC_0306.JPG

Apparently the masking tape I purchased was the kind they use to build commercial airplanes with, or something, because it was near impossible to get off and if I could pull it off it took the first layer of wood/stain with it. It left such a sticky residue, I had to sand the top of the box to remove all the gooey stuff so the lids would not stick to it!

DSC_0308.JPG

DSC_0309.JPG

I will post more photos as I progress, hopefully soon!

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
The enclosure has landed.. in the house! After 4 weeks in the 70-80 degree heat, much scrubbing and several sniff tests from friends and family... I am happy to say the enclosure is safe to be in the house. Now the fun begins!

I need to add all the goodies, which excites and terrifies me all at the same time.. I so do not want to screw it up!

DSC_0315.jpg

Here are a few things I already have for the enclosure, I still need to get a temperature/humidity controller, possibly another small deep dome light for a nocturnal light in the main hide. And still waiting on some plants I ordered.

DSC_0321.jpg

DSC_0325.jpg

DSC_0326.jpg

Oh! I also want to add plexiglass along the front... I think it would be really cool to get some vintage-like picture frames to use for the plexiglass frame and dress up the enclosure a bit!

But first things first, I need to successfully install the light controller and misting system!

Huge thanks to YvonneG, terryo and Sterling Thunder for answering my frantic IMs and wonderful advice!

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
I thought, in case anyone is wondering, I would post what products I have used/purchased... not that I have any clue what I am doing or if it is even right. lol!

Zoo Med Wood Tortoise House

Amico 2 Pcs Box Chest Case Stainless Steel Tone Draw Toggle Latch 1.7" (screws not included) - These match perfectly to the ones used on the Tortoise House.

Natural Tan Pebble Tile 12x12" - Such an inspired idea, Sterling Thunder!

Rust-Oleum 265494 12-Ounce Leak Seal Flexible Rubber Sealant, Black - Not sure I would recommend using this unless you do not mind waiting 5 weeks for the stank to disappear!

Ultimate Value Misting System

Exo Terra Electronic Terrarium Lamp Controller, 2 by 30-Watt cCSAus

Zoo Med HygroTherm Humidity and Temperature Controller

Seeds:
Tortoise Grazing Seed Mix

LCD Digital Indoor Thermometer WITH Hygrometer

Wheat grass seeds 1 pound (organic)

Chia Seeds 1/2 pound (organic)

Plants (still waiting on their delivery):
African Ice Plant
Miniature Spider
Hens & Chicks
Baby Tears Plant
Western Sword Fern
Golden Baby Tears
Blue Mouse Ears Hosta - Dwarf
Fire Island Hosta
Sunset Hens & Chicks
Cushion Moss
White Fox Aloe Vera
Red Christmas Cactus Plant

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
A couple more photos. Got the misting and lighting installed... I did not do a very good job of pre-planning so I had to make some pretty large holes in the back for the end of the lights to pass through, but I was able to cover up the gaping holes with the top of a desk grommet and secured it (for now) with hot glue. I need to test this weekend to make sure the glue doesn't reheat up and start melting!

DSC_0356.jpg

DSC_0357.jpg

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
I started adding the substrate and soil in the enclosure last night.. to my surprise, I accidentally picked up coco husk chips not coco coir, ARGH! So I picked up several bricks of coco coir today and will get that all broken and in the enclosure tonight.

I was up around 3AM and decided to turn on the two linear fluorescent bulbs on for testing, to make sure they don't set the enclosure and house on fire. They were on for probably 5 hours, and I didn't notice any burning or hot glue melting, so that's good.

Tonight, when I get home, I am going to turn them back on and the misting system for more testing. Hopefully the grass will start sprouting and I can move Flash into her new enclosure soon!

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
The enclosure is not 100% done, but I could not stand leaving Flash in her old enclosure anymore, so I moved her in last night and I think she likes it!

Outside (two CHE and 1 basking lamp)
DSC_0418.jpg

UVB light with mist nozzle
DSC_0400.jpg

House (contains a mist nozzle, as well)
DSC_0401.jpg

Water dish
DSC_0411.jpg

Log hide
DSC_0415.jpg

Flash exploring
DSC_0398.jpg

DSC_0403.jpg

DSC_0409.jpg

DSC_0412.jpg

DSC_0416.jpg

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Added some plants to the enclosure, they are still small/dormant, but the spider and pothos should be in this week! I got some aloe, hens & chicks and Christmas cactus, since their roots are shallow I was having a hard time finding a spot to plant then, so I took an old rock dish is used for Flash's water and turned it into a planter.

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA
No problem with the guidance/inspiration. It was pretty cool having someone want to build something similar and being able to contribute. I am really glad it turned out well for you!

I am building V2.0 right now, so you know what you have to look forward to soon!

How do you like that MistKing setup btw?

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Sterling Thunder said:
No problem with the guidance/inspiration. It was pretty cool having someone want to build something similar and being able to contribute. I am really glad it turned out well for you!

I am building V2.0 right now, so you know what you have to look forward to soon!

How do you like that MistKing setup btw?

No, thank you!!

Looking forward to seeing v.2!

I really love the mist king system, I did have a minor hiccup last night and kind of had an unplanned indoor waterfall going... Still not sure where the problem is, but I suspect a loose nozzle or joint thingy!