New Owner, New Home, Advice! Picture intensive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeko

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,

I have been reading this forum for quite some time now and figured it was time to contribute back. Thanks to your info and help I've recently picked up a 6 month old Cherry Red Footed Tortoise. He is the cutest little thing I've ever had the please of taking care of.

I've attached photos of his home, and would love any feedback on how to improve it. All the plants are live (and picked from the safe list), and he seems to avoid eating them for the most part! I still have to run two more foggers and the light cables around the back.

I do have a few quick questions, if I may!

1) I have three 150 CHE's providing primary heat, and one SunGlo 160 watt proving UVA and UVB light. On the primary "dry" side, I have the temps around 90~ and on the "cool" side I have the temps around 80~ Is this acceptable?

2) With only have one SunGlo, am I proving enough UVA/UVB/Light for the little guy?

3) I am using a Zoo Med Reptile fogger for primary humidly. I have two more coming. I am aiming to have 90% humidly on the "cool" side, and 80% on the "warm" side. With these humidity levels and the above heat levels, am I likely to grow mold, or shell rot?

4) I give him two daily baths, he seems to enjoy them. However, he seems quite pissed off whenever handled and such. Head bobbing and the likes. I am sure he will grow to understand that the "hand that feeds him" is a nice one. Do you recommend hand feeding him to build trust? Or just give it time?

Thank you very much for any feedback, responses or advice!
- Brad

Attachments

• IMG_0126.JPG
    IMG_0126.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0144.JPG
    IMG_0144.JPG
    774 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0145.JPG
    IMG_0145.JPG
    713.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0146.JPG
    IMG_0146.JPG
    798.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0147.JPG
    IMG_0147.JPG
    761.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0148.JPG
    IMG_0148.JPG
    736.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0149.JPG
    IMG_0149.JPG
    710.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0150.JPG
    IMG_0150.JPG
    726 KB · Views: 42

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Brad and welcome to the Forum!

I think you may be doing a little overkill on the CHE's. Have you read all the good stuff in the Tortoise Library ? This info has been compiled by one of our moderators and should help you quite a bit with taking care of your RF tortoise.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I like the look of it with all the plants but I agree that 3 150W CHE's seems a bit much! If you were to cover more of the screen lid with something solid you'd probably not require as many heat sources. And it would hold in humidity better.

Very cute tort! It seems they do best between 80-87ish, and I've found that my Rosie is most active when it's about 80-85. Too hot and it can dry them out and too cool (although doesn't seem to be an issue with the temps you gave) and they can't digest food properly.

Welcome!

Zeko

5 Year Member
RosieRedfoot said:
I like the look of it with all the plants but I agree that 3 150W CHE's seems a bit much! If you were to cover more of the screen lid with something solid you'd probably not require as many heat sources. And it would hold in humidity better.

Very cute tort! It seems they do best between 80-87ish, and I've found that my Rosie is most active when it's about 80-85. Too hot and it can dry them out and too cool (although doesn't seem to be an issue with the temps you gave) and they can't digest food properly.

Welcome!

Hello and thanks for the info. I forgot to mention the CHE's and the Foggers are running through controllers. Here in Canada temperatures fluctuate VERY fast, and I found that without the 3rd one, I couldn't keep temps above 80 some nights.

Having extra wont hurt him, as long as temps are correct, right? I don't believe they emit any other spectrum other than heat.. (I hope)

Thanks,
Brad

Vegasarah

5 Year Member
That set up is really fancy! Your redfoot is going to do well in that high humidity as long as it stays nice and warm. I could just look at those pictures all day 0.0

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Welcome!

Zeko said:
Hello and thanks for the info. I forgot to mention the CHE's and the Foggers are running through controllers. Here in Canada temperatures fluctuate VERY fast, and I found that without the 3rd one, I couldn't keep temps above 80 some nights.

Having extra wont hurt him, as long as temps are correct, right? I don't believe they emit any other spectrum other than heat.. (I hope)

Thanks,
Brad

If you have the CHE's on a thermostat, then that should work and won't overheat. Yes, CHE's only emit heat.
Sounds like some nights you need them. Make sure you add water to the substrate periodically, in addition to your humidifier.
Nice looking set up!

Zeko

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
Welcome!

Zeko said:

Thanks,
Brad

If you have the CHE's on a thermostat, then that should work and won't overheat. Yes, CHE's only emit heat.
Sounds like some nights you need them. Make sure you add water to the substrate periodically, in addition to your humidifier.
Nice looking set up!

Should I add the water into the "soil" below the forest bark? Or directly to the bark? Any issues with mold?

Thanks,
Brad

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Ditto on what lynnedit said. Whatever works to keep temps/humidity up!

I too, like staring at my enclosure (link in my signature) and love the look of planted ones! I think they like it best too!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I just pour some in from a teapot, enough to moisten it, but not leave it sopping. Then I put on my garden gloves and mix it up the areas that I can (you can mix up the open areas, leave the plants alone).

Status
Not open for further replies.