New enclosure pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamburg,AR
Just finished installing the visual barrier.I put in about 3200 lb. of compost and planted tiurnips,mustard,clover,dandelions,and a tortoise mix.I'll put a divider down the middle before I put the wild bunch in so I can rotate them back and forth.

100_2769-1.jpg

100_2770-1.jpg

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Wow what a beautiful spot. Can't wait to see what you do with it..
Are you worried about raccoons, or anything? I know I have to be in New England.
Thanks for posting
Na

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Nay said:
Wow what a beautiful spot. Can't wait to see what you do with it..
Are you worried about raccoons, or anything? I know I have to be in New England.
Thanks for posting
Na
Thanks. I'll run a hot wire around it to discourage predators,although we don't have a big problem with them.I'll take some more pics after everything is growing and the grass is green.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a great-looking pen. I'm trying to see the gate. Is it in the lower left-hand corner of the second picture?

Isn't it fun to build new tortoise pens? It almost makes me want to buy a different kind of tortoise so that I can set up a new pen...NOT!!!

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
emysemys said:
That's a great-looking pen. I'm trying to see the gate. Is it in the lower left-hand corner of the second picture?

Isn't it fun to build new tortoise pens? It almost makes me want to buy a different kind of tortoise so that I can set up a new pen...NOT!!!
Thanks.The gate is out of frame on the right.I installed spring hinges and an automatic lock.It really has been a lot of fun so far.Now I'm looking forward to planting the rose of Sharon and cannas.

latshki

5 Year Member
that is soooo nice, and your backyard looks like a dream of mine
I am too jealous right now
the only thing Id be worried about is racoons or that

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
latshki said:
that is soooo nice, and your backyard looks like a dream of mine
I am too jealous right now
the only thing Id be worried about is racoons or that
Thank you so much!That is right out my front door-the back yard is 40 acres,mostly pasture.I'll be watching for predators.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Right now it makes me think of those small family cemeteries on every street corner in New England. Maybe you should put up some "headstones" for shade, and to keep human predators away! :p

Have fun with your "canvas" as you turn it into a picture. ;)

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Stephanie Logan said:
Right now it makes me think of those small family cemeteries on every street corner in New England. Maybe you should put up some "headstones" for shade, and to keep human predators away! :p

Have fun with your "canvas" as you turn it into a picture. ;)
That's pretty good,Steph. Actually my wife told our youngest daughter that when we got tired of the torts,thats what we were going to do with it. She(my daughter) thought that was a way cool idea to have a family cemetary in the yard.I'm having a ball with this project!

M

Maggie Cummings

It's beautiful but please worry about predators and I'm not sure about the cannas...a hot wire around perimeter won't protect them from anything above. You need to watch out for birds, crows and hawks are famous for eating tortoises. Rose of Sharon will be good for blooms and shade that will be protection.
Crows in the Mojave desert are partly responsible for decimating the Gopherus agassizii population. They get one then fly up to a telephone pole then fling the tortoise down to the ground and break it open that way. There were piles of dead tortoises all around the poles...makes me upset just talking about it...:(

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Very Nice Enclosure * A job well done* ... you can see the effort and the visual is very nice with the lake backdrop! As others have stated if you have young torts watch for preds'...you could install for posts in all corners to your current structure, then a A frame type truss,....( so you can walk in) and wrap with chicken(type) wire ...If you have to go to those extremes...
But just wanted to say * Nice job*
JD ~
PS , Maybe a " hide"in the pen as well? They do like to take cover in a " safe house"....Maybe a..cave, rock formation....for that natural look...;)

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Thanks guys! I don't really have a problem with crows.I keep them cleared out pretty good,they hardly come around anymore.I will be building a couple of hides,as natural looking as possible.I have a ways to go yet,will post more pictures as work progresses.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I'm sure Jeff has 'pictured' what it will be.. and he'll keep us posted....

NERD

Status
Not open for further replies.