New Enclosure Pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsmit02

5 Year Member
Ok here they are the before and after pics of my little guy in his new outdoor enclosure. It has a bath, 2 hides, and is planted with Russian tortoise mix grown to various stages for ongoing food. It is surrounded by a hard wire dog fence and covered by a firm deer mesh. The substrate is topsoil with reptibark on the paths round the greenery. The plant you see is a coleus I got the name from the tortoisetable.com which said it was safe and edible landscaping.

I am not sure how much food to supplement him outside he is used to a shell sized handful of mixed greens a day. I would also love some input on other plants to plant for eating and perhaps a bush for shade or cover.

You can see my RT in the finished enclosure trying to climb on top of his hide box loltortbefore.jpgtort.jpgtort closeup.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

RussianTorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
That's nice :D, where'd you get the wading pool from? Couldn't he walk up the slide part or not enough traction?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
HE. IS. CUTE!
They love sprouts. When he goes through them (mowed down), you can supplement again with a shell sized amount of varied food. He looks very active, so he can eat as much as he wants of the sprouts.
If you have the time, I notice my torts eat some after they warm up in the am, and then become active again around 3-4p and like another smaller amount at that time, before they retire for the night. :rolleyes:
Very nice.

Annaliisas

5 Year Member
I used the kiddie pool idea for a few months when were in transition and I drilled holes 1/2 inch all around the bottom of the sides for drainage. Worked really well. We only had one good rain, (Phoenix, AZ)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You did a nice job! I too had wondered about the slide part.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Very cool, great re-purposing of the kiddie-pool! :) I bet your tortoise loves it.

rsmit02 said:
Ok here they are the before and after pics of my little guy in his new outdoor enclosure. It has a bath, 2 hides, and is planted with Russian tortoise mix grown to various stages for ongoing food. It is surrounded by a hard wire dog fence and covered by a firm deer mesh. The substrate is topsoil with reptibark on the paths round the greenery. The plant you see is a coleus I got the name from the tortoisetable.com which said it was safe and edible landscaping.

I am not sure how much food to supplement him outside he is used to a shell sized handful of mixed greens a day. I would also love some input on other plants to plant for eating and perhaps a bush for shade or cover.

You can see my RT in the finished enclosure trying to climb on top of his hide box lol

Status
Not open for further replies.