New enclosure inprovement?

Location (City and/or State)
tampa
Hello everyone! My Russian Tortoise’s new outdoor house is finally complete, but I just want to make sure it’s the best it can be. Here are the measurements and the facts about it:
It is a 5 ft. x 5 ft. enclosure.
The humidity outside is actually quite high (around 60 - 70).
The temperature is about 80-90° F this summer.
The substrate is simply reptibark (I wanted to put some topsoil for plants, but it rains frequently and I didn’t want any mud in the enclosure).
There are wheels on the bottom for me to put it in the shade just in case it rains.
There is about 3 inches of reptibark.
It doesn’t have any decorations, so any tips will be great!IMG_1562351102.521520.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
So, I’m just saying it’s just very boring... no plants, no stones no things to explore... try to think like a tort and be creative with the enclosure...some visual obstacles, some physical obstacles and go dig some (clean) weeds and flowers and vines up and plant. Even if they die...get some interesting things in there. You can keep adding and replacing. Make a real hide other than what you have.

Good luck!

KSeaman

Washington
Again, might sound like a dumb question but I need to know. How do you keep your tortoises from digging out? I created an above round enclosure with cement blocks but he digs under and he is FAST. Thoughts? Thanks

tampa
Again, might sound like a dumb question but I need to know. How do you keep your tortoises from digging out? I created an above round enclosure with cement blocks but he digs under and he is FAST. Thoughts? Thanks

Yes, for me. His enclosure is a box we made, so the bottom is wood which he can’t break.

tampa
So, I’m just saying it’s just very boring... no plants, no stones no things to explore... try to think like a tort and be creative with the enclosure...some visual obstacles, some physical obstacles and go dig some (clean) weeds and flowers and vines up and plant. Even if they die...get some interesting things in there. You can keep adding and replacing. Make a real hide other than what you have.

Good luck!

Okay, thanks! But a few questions. Will the stones be harmful to his nails? And what plants are safe from him, so should I just put grass along the edges?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Okay, thanks! But a few questions. Will the stones be harmful to his nails? And what plants are safe from him, so should I just put grass along the edges?

The stones are actually good, they help your tort’s nails and beak stay trimmed down. Check out safe plants and weeds and grasses in your area. There are literally tons of plants/weeds/vines that are safe to put in there. Even a dead tree limb or branch. Pull up some tufts of (untreated) grass, plant those.

tampa
The stones are actually good, they help your tort’s nails and beak stay trimmed down. Check out safe plants and weeds and grasses in your area. There are literally tons of plants/weeds/vines that are safe to put in there. Even a dead tree limb or branch. Pull up some tufts of (untreated) grass, plant those.

Okay, thanks! I lined up some large pebbles around the edges and put a plant there. I’ll gather some more weeds to decorate as well!

Michael231

California
Okay, thank you! One question, is humidity a big deal for tortoises? Will it in any way affect them?

Humidity matters. However, it is more important to maintain it at a constant percentage (around 70-90% for hatchlings of most species) for hatchlings to avoid pyramiding and keep the immune system functioning at high capacity. In the wild, hatchling Greek tortoises spend a lot of their time buried in shallow pallets or under downed vegetation. These environments are quite humid. However, as they mature Greek tortoises begin to walk around in the open air to forage, while also utilizing humid microclimates (i.e. by burrowing down into shallow pallets or hiding under bushes in the dirt).

The best enclosures have a graduation of humidity, areas where there is hard-dry ground and areas where it is damper and the tortoise can escape the heat.

An ambient humidity of 60-70% is fine for a Greek tortoise, as humidity will naturally fluctuate with temperature. Temperature is more important to monitor for adults, making sure it isn’t too hot, or too cold.

tampa
Humidity matters. However, it is more important to maintain it at a constant percentage (around 70-90% for hatchlings of most species) for hatchlings to avoid pyramiding and keep the immune system functioning at high capacity. In the wild, hatchling Greek tortoises spend a lot of their time buried in shallow pallets or under downed vegetation. These environments are quite humid. However, as they mature Greek tortoises begin to walk around in the open air to forage, while also utilizing humid microclimates (i.e. by burrowing down into shallow pallets or hiding under bushes in the dirt).

The best enclosures have a graduation of humidity, areas where there is hard-dry ground and areas where it is damper and the tortoise can escape the heat.

An ambient humidity of 60-70% is fine for a Greek tortoise, as humidity will naturally fluctuate with temperature. Temperature is more important to monitor for adults, making sure it isn’t too hot, or too cold.

Yes, that’s about the humidity outside. Thanks!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
You can line the bottom with wire and then put the dirt on top. I lined the edges of mine with bricks but I didn’t line the whole of it.
I did the same thing for my outdoor enclosure.

tampa
Hey everyone! I finally finished my enclosure and added some decorations. Here are some of its features.
-random (untreated) weeds from outside.
-one slate for his nails trimming along with pebbles on the side.
-One purslane plant which he already started chowing on.
-3 hibiscus flowers which he already ate today (I’m not sure if that’s healthy, so I won’t put any more inside for a couple days since he might get over fed).
The humidity here is around 70-80 with 70-90° F being the average temperature. If you have any suggestions, feel free to tell me! It’s a 5ft. x 5ft. Enclosure! IMG_1562435687.659943.jpg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
It looks great to me nice work. I am not sure what Russians require. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I recommend having a ready supply of weeds to replace them when they get eaten. My Russian nubs a plaintain weed 12" diameter in 4 days. Get some pothos for cover

Last edited: