New Enclosure

brittjoslyn211

Hello everyone! I'm in need of a little advice. So I've had my Russian tort for about a year and a half now. I just recently built him a new 5 foot by 3 foot enclosure. Still needs more decorating, any ideas would be much appreciated! Also, not too sure where to put the long UVB lamp or how to suspend it. Again, any help is welcomed!!! :)

Attachments

• 1431580045328.jpg
    1431580045328.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 82

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Many of the long fluorescent tube bulbs should be placed 12 inches above your tortoises shell. How high are the sides of the enclosure? If the Heights is right you could just put it across the enclosure with the ends on the boards. And then use a regular lightbulb for heat. You might need a couple bulbs for heat for a large enclosure.
Plants are also great to add. Russians can be very hard on plants so you can put them in pots. I have spider plants, Jade, Pothos and dracaena plants. You can also plant herb plants, the tortoise probably won't eat them but they make good cover. You might get away with being able to plant them directly into the substrate. You can also make a little hills for the tortoise to walk up and down. Throw in a little branch or piece of wood. Large pebbles etc. My Russian seems to like to climb on things and over things.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello everyone! I'm in need of a little advice. So I've had my Russian tort for about a year and a half now. I just recently built him a new 5 foot by 3 foot enclosure. Still needs more decorating, any ideas would be much appreciated! Also, not too sure where to put the long UVB lamp or how to suspend it. Again, any help is welcomed!!! :)
Sorry, I can't help here. But I can say one little thing: A LOVELY ENCLOSURE so far! :) GOD bless.

brittjoslyn211

Thank you guys! Here's an updated version :). Still working out how to hang the heat lamp so it shines directly down and not on an angle. I put some live herbs in there as well! I plan on adding more rocks soon too.

Attachments

• 1432065196039.jpg
    1432065196039.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 45

mlummus

What kind of rocks do you have in there? Will any kind of rock work or do you need a special rock for the enclosure?

brittjoslyn211

I have a variety of different rocks. The ones lining the water bowl are flat. You can usually get them from any pet store in the reptile section. It keeps the water cleaner because not as much dirt gets in it. The big "rock" looking thing is just a deep water bowl flipped over. And the small rocks in the middle were just taken from outside in my horse's paddock. I made sure I cleaned them well. :)

CnR

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
This is how i did my lights.

Attachments

• 1432555661004.jpg
    1432555661004.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 26