New tortoise table!

Kylie Linnea

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, California
Hello all! I recently moved from a shared space back into my parents' house and my dad and I built a new enclosure for Flash Gordon (male Russian, been with me for 5 1/2 years)!

Its ~48x24 inches of plywood. The next "to do" is an improved lighting set up, more substrate, and more variety within the enclosure. I would appreciate any ideas or tips for those next steps!

IMG_4176-2.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Screw a small board vertical off each end with another board going across the tops of each board and hang the lights to eliminate using the clamps

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello all! I recently moved from a shared space back into my parents' house and my dad and I built a new enclosure for Flash Gordon (male Russian, been with me for 5 1/2 years)!

Its ~48x24 inches of plywood. The next "to do" is an improved lighting set up, more substrate, and more variety within the enclosure. I would appreciate any ideas or tips for those next steps!

View attachment 315677
You've got some serious problems there.

• This enclosure is way too small. 2x4 is a good size for a hatchling. Yours need 4 times this much space.
  • Never use plastic based fixtures. They don't hold up to the constant high heat from out bulbs. Use ceramic based fixtures.
  • Never use those clamps. Take the clamps off and throw them away. Hang your fixtures from over head, as Yvonne suggested.
Here is the correct care info:

Kylie Linnea

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, California
Thanks @Yvonne G and @Tom for the advice. This enclosure is no where near done! I've ordered some better lights to keep Flash warm and happy. I also have plans for a partial second story to increase his area of exploration. Also, I finally have a spot to build an outdoor enclosure as well (temperate Los Angeles climate here).

Holly.thompson

South Yorkshire, England
Screw a small board vertical off each end with another board going across the tops of each board and hang the lights to eliminate using the clamps

Yes, I second that. This imagine is very similar to mine. I have a hole at the back of the board for the thick wire to go through a hook to hang the light off of. Hope it helps x 694000BF-B1D6-4386-9E5B-28E86083E34E.jpeg

Kylie Linnea

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, California
Update on this new tortoise table! The hanging lights are UV mercury bulb and ceramic heat emitter, the clamped light is a simple LED light. The platform adds more room for Flash Gordon to move around and more hiding space. This is his winter enclosure and will be building a summer enclosure outside so he has more room to roam. Any other recommendations are welcome!

IMG_4293.JPG

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi,
Torts don't always use, or stay on, ramps so he could go over the edge and get stuck on his back which could be fatal if he's there too long. So I would add something he can't climb over along the edge of the shelf and along the ramp,
I don't see a water dish in there which torts should always have access to - a terracotta plant saucer sunk level with the substrate will be easy for him to access,
I can't make out what the white lump in there is, but if it's a basking rock, I would use something flatter and easier for him get on an off safely.