New table

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
OK, it looks like I am really in trouble this time. So I will make a sincere apology to the forum as a whole, I don't want to be banned, I love the forum, and I realize because I am too frank or blunt at times several of the moderators want me gone. Sometimes people like Mark say something that sets me off and I say things that are not appropriate for this forum. For that I am genuinely sorry. I was wrong, I am not trying to say what I said was alright, it may have actually been correct, but sometimes I just need to keep those thoughts in my head.
So Mark, I really hope you get the information it seems like you are having trouble with, and I will leave this thread with good thoughts that Marks little guy lives a long and comfortable life. Bye

Maggie don't worry about it, I don't know what happened here or care but sometimes I feel situations need frank and blunt comments. I've seen many times lately that members give advice that have no clue about things, ask for pictures to be posted so they can help but won't post their own enclosure pics, tell people not to use glass but have never used glass.etc... If knowledgeable people like yourself leave this forum in the hands of unexperienced keepers that just want to chat, then we will see a lot more dead torts.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Sorry I've read so many different websites saying don't use glass sides because it stresses them out and to use a 70/30% mix soil, sand. I didn't mean to offend anyone, I totally agree with you!
Do those sites say it stresses fish and lizards too?

Mark Cassell

Maggie don't worry about it, I don't know what happened here or care but sometimes I feel situations need frank and blunt comments. I've seen many times lately that members give advice that have no clue about things, ask for pictures to be posted so they can help but won't post their own enclosure pics, tell people not to use glass but have never used glass.etc... If knowledgeable people like yourself leave this forum in the hands of unexperienced keepers that just want to chat, then we will see a lot more dead torts.
She's didn't seem to bothered about the glass when she was in the vivarium, I took the glass out when I read up on them.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
No it doesn't mention that

So don't you think if would stress a tort it would also stress them? I'm not saying it doesn't stress some, but I've raised a lot of different animals/reptiles in aquariums and never had issues. Sometimes People blame stress but it's usually them housing a larger tort in a small glass enclosure. Hopefully you will trust the care sheets on this website. I will tell you that these are written by some of the best in the world and they are proven experts in this field with the best updated info.

Mark Cassell

So don't you think if would stress a tort it would also stress them? I'm not saying it doesn't stress some, but I've raised a lot of different animals/reptiles in aquariums and never had issues. Sometimes People blame stress but it's usually them housing a larger tort in a small glass enclosure. Hopefully you will trust the care sheets on this website. I will tell you that these are written by some of the best in the world and they are proven experts in this field with the best updated info.
I will do, thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome Mark. I read through your thread and it sounds like you are getting a whirlwind of new info and good advice here. I don't think I need to repeat any of it, but may I share that I have been keep a wide variety of Chelonia, including horsfield tortoises in glass tanks, and every other type of enclosure too, since 1979. I breed tortoises and I have raised literally hundreds of baby tortoises, most of them started in glass tanks. I think I might have passed the 1000 baby mark this last year, but I really haven't been counting. I'm sitting on nearly 100 South African leopard eggs right now, and those babies have glass tanks waiting for them too. Glass tanks are actually better for babies because of all the reasons "they" say they are bad.

I make the recommendations I make in those care sheets that were linked to you because I have decades of experience and mistakes to help me discern what works best and what doesn't. I've read all the same books and material as everyone else, but so many of the assertions that are made in those old care sheets and books just didn't add up. I had to figure out a lot of this on my own, the hard way, and my animals suffered the consequences for my lack of knowledge and ignorance. I give advice and make those care sheets now in the hope that people like you will not have to make all the mistakes I made in the past. If you do what I have done, you will learn what I have learned. I'm offering a short cut that will save you and your tortoise a lot of time money and suffering.

May I ask what is your approximate age, and what is your experience level with tortoises? When dispensing requested advice, it helps to know who is asking. I might phrase things differently for a 12 year old with their first tortoise, than I would for a 50 year old that has been keeping tortoises longer than I have.

I can see that you are open minded and giving us a chance to explain, so may I request that you go back and read through those threads that Tidgy's dad linked for you one more time. Given what you've learned today, you might find the info more useful now.

Glad you found us and thanks for listening. Please feel free to ask lots of questions and make me clarify any details in those care sheets.

Mark Cassell

Hello and welcome Mark. I read through your thread and it sounds like you are getting a whirlwind of new info and good advice here. I don't think I need to repeat any of it, but may I share that I have been keep a wide variety of Chelonia, including horsfield tortoises in glass tanks, and every other type of enclosure too, since 1979. I breed tortoises and I have raised literally hundreds of baby tortoises, most of them started in glass tanks. I think I might have passed the 1000 baby mark this last year, but I really haven't been counting. I'm sitting on nearly 100 South African leopard eggs right now, and those babies have glass tanks waiting for them too. Glass tanks are actually better for babies because of all the reasons "they" say they are bad.

I make the recommendations I make in those care sheets that were linked to you because I have decades of experience and mistakes to help me discern what works best and what doesn't. I've read all the same books and material as everyone else, but so many of the assertions that are made in those old care sheets and books just didn't add up. I had to figure out a lot of this on my own, the hard way, and my animals suffered the consequences for my lack of knowledge and ignorance. I give advice and make those care sheets now in the hope that people like you will not have to make all the mistakes I made in the past. If you do what I have done, you will learn what I have learned. I'm offering a short cut that will save you and your tortoise a lot of time money and suffering.

May I ask what is your approximate age, and what is your experience level with tortoises? When dispensing requested advice, it helps to know who is asking. I might phrase things differently for a 12 year old with their first tortoise, than I would for a 50 year old that has been keeping tortoises longer than I have.

I can see that you are open minded and giving us a chance to explain, so may I request that you go back and read through those threads that Tidgy's dad linked for you one more time. Given what you've learned today, you might find the info more useful now.

Glad you found us and thanks for listening. Please feel free to ask lots of questions and make me clarify any details in those care sheets.
Hi thanks I've read the threads and taken on board what you say, I've added a bucket full more topsoil and mixed it in. I'm also going to buy the Chippings. I'm a little worried that it's too humid, at soil level in her hide it's beyond 90% humidity! Is that too much.?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm also going to buy the Chippings. I'm a little worried that it's too humid, at soil level in her hide it's beyond 90% humidity! Is that too much.?

Wood chippings will tend to mold and mildew in a damp setting. I wouldn't use that.

90% humidity inside the hide is good. If the tortoise wants to be in drier environment, it can step out of the hide and into the open table area.

I don't know how it works in other countries, but here in the US, "soil" that is bought in a bag at a store is made by composting people's yard waste. Grass clippings, leaves, and tree and bush trimmings. Over here a lot of people treat their lawns with all sorts of chemicals and the shelves are lined with all sorts of hot-selling chemicals to be sprayed all over the garden. Couple that with the fact that lots of people grow and subsequently trim toxic plants like oleander, azaleas, etc… and store bought "soil" becomes potentially dangerous. In addition to all that, most of it gets really messy and turns to mud once water is added. Suffice to say, I think other things are safer and better for our tortoises. I prefer coco coir for small horsfield tortoises and fine grade orchid bark for larger ones. These two items can be found cheaply and in bulk over here at garden stores.

Mark Cassell

Wood chippings will tend to mold and mildew in a damp setting. I wouldn't use that.

90% humidity inside the hide is good. If the tortoise wants to be in drier environment, it can step out of the hide and into the open table area.

I don't know how it works in other countries, but here in the US, "soil" that is bought in a bag at a store is made by composting people's yard waste. Grass clippings, leaves, and tree and bush trimmings. Over here a lot of people treat their lawns with all sorts of chemicals and the shelves are lined with all sorts of hot-selling chemicals to be sprayed all over the garden. Couple that with the fact that lots of people grow and subsequently trim toxic plants like oleander, azaleas, etc… and store bought "soil" becomes potentially dangerous. In addition to all that, most of it gets really messy and turns to mud once water is added. Suffice to say, I think other things are safer and better for our tortoises. I prefer coco coir for small horsfield tortoises and fine grade orchid bark for larger ones. These two items can be found cheaply and in bulk over here at garden stores.
Screenshot_20160904-155717.png something like this?

Ozzy1

Hi Mark and welcome, am also new to the world of tortoise's . I'm from Belfast and just like you don't get the good weather / outside heat like most. I keep mine in soil only, I noticed if I used play sand as a mix the he was wheezing, my vet said just to us the top soil and see how he gets on. No more wheezing now. But to tell you the truth, anytime he sees me he goes mad to get out of his enclosure, and spend most of his time having the run of the house when am here. I know a lot of or everyone would disagree or object to it but he's healthy, eats like a trooper, poops well, bright eyed, wheel spends everywhere and he is full of beans, and it been that way for 8 year's. No issue's. I hunted the internet, bought 10 books on them joined this sit, but info I got was different every time. Just do your best and see what works and what doesn't. I work on getting good portions wright with good variety of different foods, weighing him weekly, and keeping an eye on is stools, activity levels, abnormal breathing, and bright eyes and healthy mouth. And that works for me.