Suggestions for set up please

Laura Wegeman

My husband and I completed our red footed tortoise's (Moxie girl) new home this weekend and I while the bottom 6x3 floor is planted and set I was wondering if anyone could suggest some ideas for decorating the upper 3x2 shelf for her? I lined the bottom 6x3 area in plastic to help protect the oak but was planning on leaving the shelf plain wood. I was thinking of creating an edge to protect her from falling off with potted plants or rocks. Any suggestions on how to decorate this shelf would be welcomed and appreciated. She is a 5 and a half month old hatchling. Than you. :)

1444664594140-1282762624.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Laura Wegeman

I think the plain wood might be slippery for your tort...and if she poops, it might ruin the wood? An edge or wall to keep her from falling off is definitely a good idea.
Thank you for the comment. What do you think would be a good idea to do with this area? Should I just go ahead and line it with plastic also and put a retaining wall to hold the substrate then?

Careym13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
Thank you for the comment. What do you think would be a good idea to do with this area? Should I just go ahead and line it with plastic also and put a retaining wall to hold the substrate then?
That is what I would do. The last thing you want is a mold problem.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi Laura and a very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Please read the "Enclosures" threads which will definitely help you.:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't use the plants as a barrier. They can still climb into the pots and tumble off the edge. I've seen some pictures where members pasted popsicle sticks to make a picket fence. That would look nice across the edge.

JoshSloane

Hey there. I know you have already put a ton of time into this enclosure, but as someone who has just finished building an enclosure themselves I would like to share just a couple things that might help. As for the plastic under the substrate, if you can manage I would remove it and use a permanent sealant to protect the wood. Moisture can get in between the plastic and the wood, cause molding and warping of the structure. I swear by using Drylok as a sealant. It goes on like paint, and is fully water impermeable after just two coats. Will last a lifetime, and comes in a few colors. It just might save you some headaches down the road.