New first Tortoise!

Scull3y

Hi everyone I'm new to the forums! I have been obsessed with turtles and tortoises since I was very little. I live in Florida, and ever since seeing baby turtles crawl to the ocean, I was hooked. I have never owned a tortoise, and was wondering what breeds might suit me? Preferably one that doesn't get HUGE, and can be handled without having a temper? A friend of mine told me to get an "Eastern Box Turtle"? I was reading about these lil' guys and compared to other breeds it seems "Box" turtles are relatively more forgiving then other breeds?

Any help would be great!

Thanks

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. You can browsing through out the forum to looking at various different species (not breed) of the tortoise and turtles till you come to your conclusion.

Happy reading and have fun. Welcome.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Welcome. Well in tortoises and turtles they are species, then below that is sub species. Breeds are typical for domesticated dogs. They are all canine, but of different genetics and breeding etc.etc... So that being said. I do agree with your friend box turtles are very easy, stay small, sociable, are physically beautiful species, and you could say "forgiving". The best thing to do is know what your perimeters are. How much time, money, effort, and responsibility you want to put into it. Handling is and can be done. But on a minimally based scale. Reptiles especially turtles/tortoises don't display a need for companionship or develop a relationship that is bonding like our canine and feline domesticated companions. So prowl around on the forum and just read and read and ask questions to help fix what notch of animal, whether it end up being a turtle or even a skink.

Mimirose22

I don't know if there are any specific turtles or tortoises that are very easy to take care of in Florida, but I live in Indiana and I find it very easy to meet the needs of my 2 year old Russian Tortoise. They are very sweet and only get about 7-10 inches big.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Russians or Hermann's are great beginner tortoises. If you have an outdoor enclosure, an Eastern box turtle will be fine too. Let us know what you get. :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hay don't forget the Greeks they are small and a great beginner tort . Do your own search . You'll have more fun . And don't rule out pancakes to fast either . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Russian Tortises would be good, because they only get to 6-10 inches (depending in the sex) and are SUPER sweet. I have had my RT for a year now, and I can't wait for all the years to come with him! Before you get a tort, do your research on your chosen species. There are a lot of good articles in here that can help you.
Good luck with your tortoise search!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

1028762jld543t69m.gif

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
I am so new, I feel awkward saying "welcome". So, "Hey!"
I am a first timer. After 2 months of research, I settled on a Russian. He is alert, has loads of personality and curiosity. My fascination is bordering on obsession at this point.
I also thought I would start with a box turtle but during research, read articles of how endangered they are becoming and many states now hold it illegal to keep them in captivity. The wild population is in need of hatchlings. I have had turtles before and they need protein, which can get messy and smelly.
At least, with a tortoise, you are dealing with a total vegetarian. I found a good book on Russians, "Russian Tortoises" by E.J. Pirog. Between that book and this forum, my little fella might have a chance.
Even if you don't decide on a Russian (than only grow to 10" max), there are other similar species.
RainsOn